Culling the Herd: Anyone Else Feel the Need to do So?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Culling the herd has always been my ultimate dream. But in order to whittle it down, I first need to be sure what shapes/sizes I like. So in order to do that, I buy more.

But I could survive happily with only one pipe. But If I could get it to a handful, I'd be happy. (But first more experimenting)

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I've owned about 60 pipes and sold about 30. I've used smokingpipes.com out of laziness and convenience. (I'm also loyal to them because of their awesome customer service.) They buy them up front and pay cash or store credit. For store credit I've received 55% (standard commission) or 60% (as a store promotion), which is good enough for me because there's no hassle. I can just throw them in a box (so to speak) and off they go. (I consider the original purchase price—minus the SP commission—a rental fee, for the time I held on to them and smoked them. :ROFLMAO:)

For me, having a bunch of low/midrange pipes I wasn't thrilled with, it with was worth trading them up for higher end pipes that fit my shaping preferences. I've also traded in a few artisan pipes that weren't doing it for me, including an Eltang and a Garmash.

My collection of briars is mostly mid/highish range pipes now, with a few beaters I don't mind leaving in the car if I'm out somewhere. I no longer own any pipes I can see myself ever wanting to sell. I also can't see myself spending much more on pipes in the future🤞, but maybe once a year or so I'll buy myself something expensive special.

The last lot I sent to SP contained 13 briars and their offer came in a little higher than what I had estimated, so I was very happy. I purchased this Piersel (and a Ropp) on the store credit. I'll be keeping this one!
IMG_3730.jpeg

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I've owned about 60 pipes and sold about 30. I've used smokingpipes.com out of laziness and convenience. (I'm also loyal to them because of their awesome customer service.) They buy them up front and pay cash or store credit. For store credit I've received 55% (standard commission) or 60% (as a store promotion), which is good enough for me because there's no hassle. I can just throw them in a box (so to speak) and off they go. (I consider the original purchase price—minus the SP commission—a rental fee, for the time I held on to them and smoked them. :ROFLMAO:)

For me, having a bunch of low/midrange pipes I wasn't thrilled with, it with was worth trading them up for higher end pipes that fit my shaping preferences. I've also traded in a few artisan pipes that weren't doing it for me, including an Eltang and a Garmash.

My collection of briars is mostly mid/highish range pipes now, with a few beaters I don't mind leaving in the car if I'm out somewhere. I no longer own any pipes I can see myself ever wanting to sell. I also can't see myself spending much more on pipes in the future🤞, but maybe once a year or so I'll buy myself something expensive special.

The last lot I sent to SP contained 13 briars and their offer came in a little higher than what I had estimated, so I was very happy. I purchased this Piersel (and a Ropp) on the store credit. I'll be keeping this one!
View attachment 280478

I've looked into Smoking Pipes, and it seems to be a pretty easy and straight forward process. I'm glad to hear you've had good success with them. Smoking Pipes is my go-to website for buying pipes. I've bought several estate pipes, and new pipes from them over the years.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I've looked into Smoking Pipes, and it seems to be a pretty easy and straight forward process. I'm glad to hear you've had good success with them. Smoking Pipes is my go-to website for buying pipes. I've bought several estate pipes, and new pipes from them over the years.
Blue Room Briars might also be a good choice for estate acquisitions, but I haven't dealt with them personally, other than as a customer.

Reactions: metalheadycigarguy

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC

View attachment 280478

Hmmm that sounds pretty easy. I may have to try this. I did a cull and I have a bunch of pipes that didn't make the cut sitting in a box.

denholrl

Might Stick Around
Mar 27, 2011
My racks, in cabinet, on tables are full. So, if I find another pipe I "have to have" I must pick one to sell from my collection. Always a tough choice that usually boils down to how often I smoke the candidates for removal

Reactions: LeafErikson
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I was thinking of selling some off, but then I started planning a motorcycle trip. I was looking for a few cheap pipes (perhaps meers) that would be good getting thrown in a saddle bag and smoked with brutality with all sorts of tobaccos. I look for them on sites and all the pipes are so damn expensive! I then look at the pipes I might want to cull, and they look like a better deal than what I find online. I end up selling to myself, or at least changing how I think about the pipes.

Gavrin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2021
Idaho
I was thinking of selling some off, but then I started planning a motorcycle trip. I was looking for a few cheap pipes (perhaps meers) that would be good getting thrown in a saddle bag and smoked with brutality with all sorts of tobaccos. I look for them on sites and all the pipes are so damn expensive! I then look at the pipes I might want to cull, and they look like a better deal than what I find online. I end up selling to myself, or at least changing how I think about the pipes.
The only “cheap” pipes I find are corncobs- good thing I like them! Plus if I lose ‘em it’s not painful!

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I've been inspired by reading that it might be beneficial to thin the herd and started doing that myself.
At least, I've started to group together some that aren't "quite right".
And that's a start, yes?
I can do it now because I'm becoming very picky about exactly what I like and don't like in size, shape, stem, bit, etc.
But you know, the only way I can do that is because I allowed myself to have "too many" pipes...
So for those who haven't let themself loose to explore, maybe let the reigns loose and do so.
I have enough pipes now that being "picky" is a great plan for me.
Price paid has no effect on my preference, and even favored brands & shapes can get culled and replaced.
Yeah, I think I'll continue that, thanks for the motivation.

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I have half a dozen or so pipes that I don't smoke, but wouldn't be worth the effort to sell. So I'm kinda stuck with them. I'd like to have less pipes, but higher quality.

Dandy Pipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2020
Switzerland
Done many times. Single pieces of a certain value sold individually, otherwise shipped in quantity to Smokingpipes in exchange for credit for other pipes or tobacco.

Some regrets for sure but in most cases it was worth it. Better fewer quality pipes that satisfy me than many which I would end up neglecting.

In the early days I had a handful of decent quality pipes that did the job for years. Then periods of TAD led to other periods of PAD inevitably leading to a reckless accumulation of pipes for my parameters.

Now I no longer experiment so much with different or particular blends so I have an adequate number of pipes for the types of tobacco I like and the right resting times.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I have half a dozen or so pipes that I don't smoke, but wouldn't be worth the effort to sell. So I'm kinda stuck with them. I'd like to have less pipes, but higher quality.
I have a little Etsy store that I've sold some on, and will sell more that way.
But as far as effort, why not sell some here? I presume they're inexpensive...?
While most often the pipes for sale here are fairly nice, there are likely newer members that might happily grab a lower end pipe you're parting with at a fair price.
Win - win.
No cost to list one and see.
Cheers

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I have a little Etsy store that I've sold some on, and will sell more that way.
But as far as effort, why not sell some here? I presume they're inexpensive...?
While most often the pipes for sale here are fairly nice, there are likely newer members that might happily grab a lower end pipe you're parting with at a fair price.
Win - win.
No cost to list one and see.
Cheers
That's fair, probably 2 of them could sell here for 25 bucks, but some of them are in pretty rough shape. When I first started buying pipes, a couple people found estate lots at Flea markets and bought them for me and there were probably 20 pipes total, and maybe half of them were 75% destroyed. They smoke alright, bit but they're pretty messed up.

Reactions: FLDRD

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
That's fair, probably 2 of them could sell here for 25 bucks, but some of them are in pretty rough shape. When I first started buying pipes, a couple people found estate lots at Flea markets and bought them for me and there were probably 20 pipes total, and maybe half of them were 75% destroyed. They smoke alright, bit but they're pretty messed up.
Yeah, I've got a couple acquired in lots that are only good for practicing carving, sanding, etc. At least that's the only reason they're still lying around for me.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Well, I sold off a few pipes the last couple weeks, and just happened to be browsing Smoking Pipes estate pipe page. That was a mistake, because I found a beautiful Ser Jacopo bent apple, and had to have it. So that arrived yesterday, and I fired it up last night. What a great smoking pipe, so not really a mistake as I'm glad I came across it. I guess getting rid of several pipes to add one is okay. ;)

I posted a couple pics in the What Are You Smoking thread, but I'll repost them here.
20240122_201141.jpg
20240122_203749.jpg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Well, I sold off a few pipes the last couple weeks, and just happened to be browsing Smoking Pipes estate pipe page. That was a mistake, because I found a beautiful Ser Jacopo bent apple, and had to have it. So that arrived yesterday, and I fired it up last night. What a great smoking pipe, so not really a mistake as I'm glad I came across it. I guess getting rid of several pipes to add one is okay. ;)

I posted a couple pics in the What Are You Smoking thread, but I'll repost them here.
View attachment 281943
View attachment 281944
Is it a true spigot? I looked at this over and over again and I'm glad it came here to PM.

Reactions: FLDRD