PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
I did some obligatory search functioning before starting this thread but came down with my usual feeling of desperate curiosity so, please - for all you filtered types: What kind of filters are you using im 2023? Meerschaum or Charcoal? Or do you prefer the old Grabow/Medico paper tube style? Is anyone using those meerschaum puck things? I'm about to order more 6mm jobs but am generally trying to pivot to nine. And more specifically; what makes the White Elephant and Savinelli's so much more expensive than the Dr. Perl/Vauen variety? I do find that the Sav's draw better than the Elephants - I think as a result of the hole count - but having recently found the Vaeuns I think I'm just going to chuck that luxury in favor of the better deal. So, what say you? And, thanks in advance.

Before any of you wiseguys start making fun of this guy, just hold off. We should let the filter people have their conversation. There is no need for name calling or emasculating the poor guy. We don't want anyone saying that we aren't friendly to the filter or aromatic guys. They can find a place here... somewhere.
Surely we have one other guy using filters here. Maybe Germans? Anyone from Germany here?

Anyways... I'm just trying to be helpful. puffy

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
I did some obligatory search functioning before starting this thread but came down with my usual feeling of desperate curiosity so, please - for all you filtered types: What kind of filters are you using im 2023? Meerschaum or Charcoal? Or do you prefer the old Grabow/Medico paper tube style? Is anyone using those meerschaum puck things? I'm about to order more 6mm jobs but am generally trying to pivot to nine. And more specifically; what makes the White Elephant and Savinelli's so much more expensive than the Dr. Perl/Vauen variety? I do find that the Sav's draw better than the Elephants - I think as a result of the hole count - but having recently found the Vaeuns I think I'm just going to chuck that luxury in favor of the better deal. So, what say you? And, thanks in advance.
IMO, the Grabow made paper filters are the best paper filters out there for filtering gunk and moisture. I’ve found they also last longer than Medico.

For charcoal, the Germans have it best with Vauen, however the filters don’t work as well sealing outside of the Vauen brand.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Before any of you wiseguys start making fun of this guy, just hold off. We should let the filter people have their conversation. There is no need for name calling or emasculating the poor guy. We don't want anyone saying that we aren't friendly to the filter or aromatic guys. They can find a place here... somewhere.
Surely we have one other guy using filters here. Maybe Germans? Anyone from Germany here?

Im German, yes, and you can find more 9mm pipes here to use with filters than unfiltered.

But I refuse to smoke filtered pipes, don’t like to hassle around with soaky carbon or whatever filter. Good for me, there is a minority buying the unfiltered pipes here, you can find non- filtered estates for a fraction of the price.

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023

Thank you, we appreciate the space haha. I work in the trades so I know when I'm treading on this brand of thin ice. Thank you for the tolerance, we filthy filty's do our best to keep our spines straight. There's actually testosterone in the filter, if you can believe it.

Last edited:

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
IMO, the Grabow made paper filters are the best paper filters out there for filtering gunk and moisture. I’ve found they also last longer than Medico.

For charcoal, the Germans have it best with Vauen, however the filters don’t work as well sealing outside of the Vauen brand.
Thanks, yeah I also found that there is a slight diameter difference between the Savinellis and White Elephants. It's really only been an issue in the MM's, so far. I just went ahead and drilled out the stem and shank on those. I think on a Grabow too.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I tried them all and found that I liked the Stanwell 9mm charcoal filters, the best. The Dr. Perl and Savinelli 9mm charcoal filters were good, as well.

Reactions: obc83

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
This question seems to come up every month or two, in my opinion. There are many variables to consider. You can search the search bar above for many pros and cons. You indicate you are transitioning from 6mm to 9mm pipes. Do you smoke straights or bents ? Bents already have a restricted draw by virtue of the angle of stem bend. So in bent 'system' pipes the balsa might be better and charcoal will have a tight draw.

Why are you using a filter ?

Savinelli had two independent university studies done and the Balsa filters filter 77% of the tar and nicotine out of the smoke. Vauen's research and testing showed the charcoal filters filter about 90%.
So if you want the nicotine ... consider how much filtering you want.

I have recently switched from 6mm to 9mm as well although I do continue to rotate a few non-filter pipes. I use Savinelli 6mm charcoal and balsa in my Savinelli 2614KS depending on the tobacco. If its a thick slow burning tobacco I use the balsa. If its more virginia flake I use the charcoal just to smooth out the flavor and tone down the bite.

The biggest charcoal filter producers are Vauen in Germany who invented the charcoal filter and Kopp in Munich. Both make filters for other companies. My recommendation is to try different types to find the ones you prefer. I used to use Vauen for the price until I tried Petersons. The vauen had a slight chemical taste to me and Peterson doesn't to me. So I pay a little more for the Petersons which I have found do not limit the tobacco flavor or taste (my opinion).

Sorry if this seems a 4 cent answer when I meant to give a 2 cent answer ... maybe not even worth that much. As in all things YMMV.

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
This question seems to come up every month or two...
I am certain that it does, I've frequented a few hobby type forums over the years and it tends to be the case that new guys either can't seem to use the search or, like myself(I like to think hah) are just looking for a fresh take or commentary on a specific facet of an age old topic. Anyway, Thanks for the well thought out response, I definitely learned something.

I started out with filtered pipes because I wanted to give up cigarettes and just kind of figured I should use a filter, y'know. Less tar and nicotine. I only smoke low nic blends and now that I have the rougher edges of the addiction tamped down and 'need' to smoke about 95% less, I find that i now like to use them because I smoke like a leaky drain pipe. On top of preferring sweeter aromatics. Never thought I'd be a vanilla guy, but there you have it. I am finally getting through my original batch of White Elephant charcoals so I appreciate the notes you had about the various brands. Im intrigued by the meer tubes as well, might give them a shot next.

I think I also like filters because it increases engagement with the pipes for me. I get obsessed with new projects and am never happy with the way things are and need to try every angle, tweak and modify. Already have corn cob chop shop going on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hillcrest

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I am certain that it does, I've frequented a few hobby type forums over the years and it tends to be the case that new guys either can't seem to use the search or, like myself(I like to think hah) are just looking for a fresh take or coverage of a specific facet of an age old topic. Anyway, Thanks for the well thought out response, I definitely learned something.

I originally started using filters because I wanted to give up cigarettes and just kind of figured I should use a filter, y'know. Less tar and nicotine. I only smoke low nic blends and now that I have the rougher edges of the addiction tamped down and 'need' to smoke about 95% less, I find that i now like to use them because i smoke like a leaky drain pipe. On top of preferring sweeter aromatics. Never thought I'd be a vanilla guy, but there you have it. I will definitely still be smoking my six mils, they're the bulk of my small collection at this point so I'm thinking I'll try the White Elephant meer tubes.
Same here but buy a descent non-filter and try to smoke it very slowly. The tendency with the filters is to occasionally inhale and therefore you never really kick the habit ! .02 !

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
Same here but buy a descent non-filter and try to smoke it very slowly. The tendency with the filters is to occasionally inhale and therefore you never really kick the habit ! .02 !
Good advice. I am definitely still inhaling sometimes. And sometimes a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hillcrest

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I've got about 10 pipes, and they're a pretty even split of 6mm and filterless. The lone exception is a Stefano Santambrogio rhodesian, a 9mm. I bought an adapter for this one, but I prefer a filter on this one. I like the balsas far more than the charcoal; for my 6mm Savinellis, it's the other way around. The 6mm balsas are nice too, but I do enjoy the luxury of changing out the charcoal ones after each smoke. Receiving what is ostensibly a lifetime supply of 6mm charcoal filters from a friend was simply good fortune! Also, I find the job done by the 6mm adapters more favorable than their 9mm counterpart.

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
I only smoke with filters. 9mm Vauens work best in my Vauen. I use 6mm Savinelli charcoal filters in my Savs and MM cobs. The only exception is when I use 6mm Vauens in the cobs where the Savs don’t fit. The Vauens are slightly narrower. Oh, and Jean Claude 9mm in my European No. 1. Cob. The Vauens,again, I find to be a little too narrow for the pipe, and the Jean Claude’s are what MM carry.

Don’t worry about being razzed on filters. Whatever you enjoy is what’s right for you.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since i'm basically a one-bowl a day guy -- I sometimes live large and smoke two or three, but other days I don't smoke at all -- I usually only use filters if I am going to smoke more than usual, like at a pipe show, or if I am sampling a super strong blend and want to get its range.

Otherwise, I find it hard to taste a blend through a filter. Savinelli balsa filters seem the least intrusive. I find 9 mm filters more subtle in letting more dimensions of a blend through. Paper filters are okay but will block some blends' flavors almost entirely. So there is a lot of personal preference here.

I often reassure people that you can smoke most filter pipes without a filter at all, or with an adaptor, so don't feel you have to commit to one way or another. Filter pipes mostly smoke well without filters.

Reactions: obc83 and Hillcrest

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
In my few pipes that provide for a filter, Savinellis and cobs, I use only the Savinelli balsa filters. I tend to smoke these pipes when I walk my dog, as it eliminates the need to stop and use a pipe cleaner and helps keep in check the condensation that builds up on many Chicago Fall and Winter days. And, for me, it does little to affect the taste.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I think I also like filters because it increases engagement with the pipes for me. I get obsessed with new projects and am never happy with the way things are and need to try every angle, tweak and modify.