PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
Just got a nice little $50 Czech pipe for Christmas from a local B&M, 20211225_161248.jpg
it's my first brier (been smoking Corn cobs) ran a mild English blend through it, also a first and thoroughly enjoyed it! Got few questions, has anyone seen a do hicky like this before?20211225_161543.jpg
I took it out to smoke but wondering if I should try it? I also have a question about the cake, after I was done smoking I shook the ashes around and dumped it but there was still some black chunks stuck on the wall should I leave that or scrape it off. Your advice would be very helpful!

M

Magnum207

I personally don’t leave ash in my pipes after smoking. I would take a clean, dry paper towel and twist it around inside the bowl all the way to the bottom. Proper, smooth cake (hard) will remain and gradually build. Whatever comes off with the paper towel isn’t worth leaving in the pipe as far as i’m concerned. Nice pipe!

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
I have four pipes with stingers and have removed the three that are removable. I used them for a month or two with the stingers and like them better without. You should try it each way and see what you like. I usually run a pipe cleaner through the stem after each smoke then bend it in half and swirl it around inside the bowl to get rid of loose ash. Good looking pipe. Happy smoking!

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It's a stinger, I hate'em and always remove them if I can, IMO they restrict the draw and serve no other real purpose.
I think they are supposed to minimize gurgling or something to that effect, but I think that's a load of horse puckey, YMMV.
^^^^ Agree 100%
I remove everyone of them.

Run a couple of pipe cleaners down the stem after each smoke.
Then double them up to clean out the bowl.

If there is a coating on the inside of the bowl (supposed to promote formation of cake), it may result in pieces of tobacco adhering to the sides of the bowl. The
loose pieces of tobacco will be dislodged by the pipe cleaner.

Building cake is a somewhat controversial topic on these Forums ?

Seeing you have a Czech made pipe - did you get a Czech pipe tool as well ? If you
have one, use the "spoon" to gently scrape off the bits of stuck on tobacco. If not, use a slightly wet scunched-up paper towel to clean the inside of the bowl.

Enjoy your new pipe.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Don’t listen to that nonsense about tossing the stinger. One, it’s a good way to ruin the value of the pipe, and decor- and most importantly, they will not impede you smok’ing joy. Yeh, others will disagree, and the vocal ones will certainly do so, but these will be the same people who will rail against areomatics and anything remotely signaling you have a mind of your own. But I could be wrong.

Reactions: elessar and scloyd

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
One thing I am noticing about this Czech pipe Is that it seems to gurgle But so far all I have to do is stick a pipe cleaner in it and soak it up and it smokes pretty good maybe it just needs more breaking in didnt have that issue with the corn cobs

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Ah ha! Title makes more sense now. I thought it was like old saying from 80s like "is Pope Polish?" You know.. Do Czechs play hockey?

GlidingGonzo

Lurker
Nov 13, 2020
It's a stinger, I hate'em and always remove them if I can, IMO they restrict the draw and serve no other real purpose.
I think they are supposed to minimize gurgling or something to that effect, but I think that's a load of horse puckey, YMMV.
I find they work and smoke really well on some of the vintage Yello-Boles and Kaywoodies pre-1950. Anything other than those I usually remove them as they will ruin the draw.

Reactions: markus