PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Eight? And I thought I was ballsy for entertaining the idea of 4.
That's awesome. I'm curious, what's the age gap between youngest and oldest ?
The oldest will be 30 next month and my youngest is 6.
Two are step children. That would be Samuel and Hannah.
So here's the run down
Isaiah 29
Donovan 24
Ian 21
Hannah 21
The twins Jordan and Nathan 18
Samuel 18
Amelia 6

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The oldest will be 30 next month and my youngest is 6.
Two are step children. That would be Samuel and Hannah.
So here's the run down
Isaiah 29
Donovan 24
Ian 21
Hannah 21
The twins Jordan and Nathan 18
Samuel 18
Amelia 6
I don't think I could live through 8. However, the number of Grandchildren possible from 8 is phenomenal. Would almost make it worth it.

BigEd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2023
Franklin, TN
I’m a Nun. Ain’t got nun. lol. But i had what i think is a cool idea.
Buy a matched pair of a nice , even special birth year pipes. Smoke one regularly. Let them know that this is the pipe you bought to celebrate your birth. Then on the appropriate birthday present them with the twin they didn’t know about. Even if they don’t smoke it, it will become a prized heirloom.

Reactions: HeavyLeadBelly

Dave760

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
Not a father (so disregard if you like), but do not photograph or video everything. Behind the camera (or phone) is not being in the moment. I have some great photos of stuff from my life, but the memories I have are of the photography. Be in the moment.

I have two wonderful nephews and I am so thankful I learned this lesson before they came along.

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
Advice for the first few weeks. Being in survival mode is ok. Doing just what NEEDS to be done and letting some things wait is ok. Napping is ok, in fact, encouraged. Help any way you can. The first kid rocks your world, and rocks your wife’s world even more. And finally, it does get better. You’ll get sick of hearing that, but the first few months are crazy. But it truly does get better. Congratulations!

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
My son just turned 1 a few months ago and man everybody is right. Blink and you'll miss it. I think part of the reason parenting advice can be so varied is because, when they're little like this especially, what works today might not work tomorrow. You just have to roll with the punches and try to figure out what works best for you and your family on any given day.

• Love
Reactions: ThermionicScott

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I would tell you the thing they want most is not toys or PS3 or any of that stuff even though they will beg for it. The thing they want the most is you and your time. They watch you constantly, learning, good or bad from you. They will remember things you did together long after they forget things you bought for them. Nothing will replace time spent together. I can’t stress this enough.

atwaterville

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 15, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
1. If you plan on remodeling or rearranging your home, do it now or you will not have time or the energy to take care of it for the next 3 years or so.
2. Take as much video as you can; they grow fast and so cute when they're in those young ages. I don't know if it's due to Covid or sleep deprivation, but I can't remember much of those early years so I rely on pics and videos to relive the feelings from time to time.
3. At least for me, raising my son has challenged me to confront any unresolved emotional issues that I carried from my youth caused by my parents' parenting style. Seek advice, self reflect at end of every day, and mostly importantly be patient. I am still work on all these as they don't come naturally for me.

Reactions: Kobold

jackets

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2017
I’m a few months ahead of you, entering month four of being a father. One thing I haven’t seen, and maybe because it’s so fresh in my mind is also make sure you are focusing some attention on Mom. Shes going to be a an absolute Molotov cocktail of hormones after giving birth. One doctor told us the swing is akin to going through menopause. With all the feeding she’s going to feel a little like a barn animal, being present and patient with her is going to go a long way. Don‘t feel guilty for taking some time to yourself when you have the opportunity. I got a pipe to mark the occasion and I’ll always cherish the couple times a week I took it outside to smoke early on.