PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

grimpeur

Lurker
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
I've (lots) of Granger in the tub, and SWR pouches: they're both great. Granger is improved, SWR is what it always was. There are a number of burley blends by both Mac Baren and STG that are good 'uns; wish Singleton flake was available here. That is to say: they know stuff.

I have to say though, whoever changed the dog on the tin of Granger to a non-pointing dog is a dolt...posed right over the motto of "a pointer on fine tobacco". Smh.
Regarding my previous assertion that all was well with SWR, I was wrong, wrong, wrong!

My previous purchases of the blend made in Denmark were indeed fine; aside from the massive boost in price, no complaints.

Today, I received a 7oz can, opened it as soon as I got it, and got punched in the face by a vinegar fist! It's like Mike and Mary O'Neil moved to Denmark and changed their last name to Ø'Neil...strong stuff. Smoking it was okay, but there was a vinegar note lurking in the background. Hopefully, whatever it is (a different burley?) will flash off. But mark me down as disappointed. SWR is striken from my list of desirable OTC blends, leaving Granger; I hope they leave it alone.

Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
I recently purchased a 7 oz. can of SWR. I assume it was the Danish version. I opened it and stuck my sniffer in expecting anise and chocolate but got hit with sinus stinging, eye watering vinegar! My wife has a very good sense of smell. She could smell vinegar from the other side of the room. I let it air out for a day and it still had an overbearing vinegar smell. The vinegar covered up all tobacco aroma. I tossed it.

Reactions: grimpeur

MidTNPiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2023
Nashville, TN
Im nearing the end of a Granger tub, cracked open my first new production SWR last night. Confirming vinegar bomb.

I keep my otc’s out in the barn so ambient temps in Tennessee. Will see how it ages after a few months. Granger always improves when some of the “stuff” flashes off, hopefully the same here w/ Sir Walter. I did catch that vinegar flavor the first 1/3 of the bowl or so, but by the end…it tasted just like regular SWR.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I first heard about this in November in this thread:

This seems much more widespread an issue than before.

grimpeur

Lurker
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Also, the McDonalds of the tobacco world.
That might be a little cruel. After all, they do make Revor plug, and some really great MOB offerings available in Denmark. Or does that make it worse? They can do great things, they choose not to.

Slightly more on topic: Thursday I sent them an email about this issue. I wonder if there will be a response?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That might be a little cruel. After all, they do make Revor plug, and some really great MOB offerings available in Denmark. Or does that make it worse? They can do great things, they choose not to.

Slightly more on topic: Thursday I sent them an email about this issue. I wonder if there will be a response?
My impression is that they are more focused on their cigar business than pipe tobaccos. Your observation that they can do great things but choose not to is fair and accurate.

MidTNPiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2023
Nashville, TN
Agreed, please pass along the response.

Did a little research here: the last two pouches i had were april of 2022…no off flavors. Now, unfortunately, ive got 6 tubs stashed away all made in march of 2023. The first one has this vinegar flavor. What’s the chances the other will NOT have it, id say slim…i may be out of luck here.

I intentionally keep the otcs outside, due to their long shelf life. Maybe hoppin the fence back to Granger, lol…
I'd be interested in their response, please share.

grimpeur

Lurker
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Well, at least I got a response. Unfortunately, it was that, since I live in Canada, I should contact the Canadian branch of STG. However, since the Canadian branch of STG doesn't import SWR, I can guess what the response would be.

Over to a willing US consumer 🤞🤞!

Briarcutter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
Well, at least I got a response. Unfortunately, it was that, since I live in Canada, I should contact the Canadian branch of STG. However, since the Canadian branch of STG doesn't import SWR, I can guess what the response would be.

Over to a willing US consumer 🤞🤞!
Thank you for your efforts! Email? I'd contact them but I really don't have any first hand experience, so far just word of mouth from what I've heard. I'm still smoking the made in USA version. I think I should anyway, say something like "I'm very hesitant purchasing more considering the complaints I've heard so far."

MidTNPiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2023
Nashville, TN
Thank you for your efforts! Email? I'd contact them but I really don't have any first hand experience, so far just word of mouth from what I've heard. I'm still smoking the made in USA version. I think I should anyway, say something like "I'm very hesitant purchasing more considering the complaints I've heard so far."
I just submitted something on the contact us. We’ll see if they get back…