PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
As a sidenote, it looks like the original band came off (or maybe a first repair band?) and was replaced---badly---with a nickel plated one. A cheapie at that.

Mentioning it because replacing it with a sterling one is possible, and would look oh so much morer gooder.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
As a sidenote, it looks like the original band came off (or maybe a first repair band?) and was replaced---badly---with a nickel plated one. A cheapie at that.

Mentioning it because replacing it with a sterling one is possible, and would look oh so much morer gooder.
Yeah, it appears to have came back and has some damage.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Mark Irwin might be able to you a more definitive answer, if he can see the rest of the pipe and nomenclature. I would guess '38 to '45 is a good estimate. Post some other pix showing more detail.

I believe what you quoted above was written by Mike Leverette (and posted to Mark Irwins blog). It's unfortunate he places the question marks beside every date range. I guess that's where "approximately" could be used.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Your dating is spot one, but I wouldn't be too quick to assume the band isn't original. Peterson used a LOT of nickel bands and still does. They do have a tendency to work loose but are pretty easy to straighten out and reinstall properly. What line is the pipe, Shamrock, Sterling, Flame Grain, Deluxe?

Reactions: bayareabriar
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Thank you. Sterling.
Sterling was a popular line in the mid to late 40's and they are some nice pipes. Have you tried cleaning up the band? Often times silver bands look much worse than they actually are until they are polished. I'd hit with a jewelry cloth. If it is indeed nickel its not original, It would have had a sterling band from the factory.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Sterling was a popular line in the mid to late 40's and they are some nice pipes. Have you tried cleaning up the band? Often times silver bands look much worse than they actually are until they are polished. I'd hit with a jewelry cloth. If it is indeed nickel its not original, It would have had a sterling band from the factory.

I actually was selling as is. Someone mentioned it wasn’t pre-republic and were pretty adamant about it, so I just needed clarification I suppose.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Mark Irwin might be able to you a more definitive answer, if he can see the rest of the pipe and nomenclature. I would guess '38 to '45 is a good estimate. Post some other pix showing more detail.

Seeing the rest of the Sterling band would be helpful

Reactions: bayareabriar