Deluxe System or Spigot? Help me Decide!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Ropp Pipes
2 Fresh J. Alan Pipes
60 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
2 Fresh Silver Gray Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
Hey guys, I hope everyone is enjoying their Friday!
First off, I'd like to note that I have read other threads comparing the two Peterson systems. I know this has been covered in the past, but I wanted to dive deep and double-check a few things.
Before getting my deluxe system Peterson I loved my standard system pipes! In the back of my mind, I immediately wanted to buy a Spigot system or two because I prefer the look. I was not sure if they smoked any better, or if they offered anything over and above a standard system Peterson.

A few things to note regarding the standard systems I have.
Lots of moisture builds up in the chamber, after a smoke I fling out the excess moisture and always require a paper towel to absorb the remaining moisture when cleaning. This is fine, but not Ideal if I'm in the mountains or I'm out and about all day. I may not always have a paper towel with me.

Then I got my deluxe system! It is a 9's 307, PSB Sandblasting with a vulcanite stem. Amazing! (I currently have a 20s PSB deluxe system being mailed to me as we speak.

What I noticed with my deluxe system.
It never builds up moisture in the chamber like a standard system does. The only thing I need to clean out the chamber is a pipe cleaner or two. The metal tip that screws into the stem (I apologize for not knowing the proper terminology) collects debris and it's very simple to wipe that off. A simple pipe cleaner runs through the stem and metal thingy and you're off to the races! (It's amazing to note how easily a pipe cleaner runs through the P-lip stem on a deluxe system vs a standard system btw.
Hats off to the Deluxe system for ease of cleaning, I don't need paper towels with me, I can easily take it on long trips or to the mountains and not worry about paper towels or flooded chambers!

It smokes better too!
How are the Spigots? Are they a standard system with more beauty? Or do they offer something that the standard system does not?
Later today I plan to buy two more Peterson pipes (The last two pipes I'll buy for a while) The other day I thought having two spigots would be cool.

Two standards
Two Deluxe systems
Two spigots.
Now that I'm aware of how much better the deluxe system smokes, and how much simpler it is to clean, I'm second-guessing if I should be spending my money on a spigot at all.
Could you guys chime in and discuss the nature of the Spigot system and if it offers anything above a standard system, please?

As far as bowl shapes go, I'll probably do the following.

My standard systems are a 307 and a 303. Large and small.
My deluxe systems are a 307 (Much bigger than my standard system 307 *9's* which is odd) and a 20's I just ordered.
The Spigot I had my eye on before realizing the Deluxe may be a better / simpler smoker was going to be a "312" This is a large chamber, similar to the 9's. I would then probably get a *3's* spigot to go along with the apple-shaped bowl of my standard system 303.

Depending on what a spigot system offers, I could still get the 312, but then a deluxe system *3's*
Or I buy a Deluxe system 312 and *3's*
To summarize once again. Is there any additional benefit for the smoke or cleaning of a Spigot System over the standard system, or is it just show and shine?
If there is not, I feel my money is best spent on the Deluxe system pipes because they do offer a great deal more than a standard system in my experience.
Thank you for your help guys!

Last edited by a moderator:

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I'm not a "good enough" smoker to tell the difference between my spigot and deluxe. There was a thread a while back where the OP mentioned that he found the deluxe to be slightly better but by a very small and materially negligible amount.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Personally, don't see much difference between my deluxe systems and my spigots, 1 of which is a system spigot.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Deluxe and the System Spigot smokes about the same. But internally, they are slightly different. System Spigot doesn't have "condenser" bit at the end of the tenon. But honestly, I don't notice any difference while smoking.

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
Thanks, everyone!
I was able to place another order today. For the cost, one of the pipes was a Spigot System (312) and I ordered a Deluxe PSB sandblasted 11's (312). I'm excited to get them and compare.
Going forward, I want to replace my two standard systems with Spigots and possibly pick up one more Deluxe system. 7 pipes in total + I have my eye on an IM Corona lighter as a backup for my Peterson.

I can then settle down and focus on other things I need to save up for!
I'll let everybody know what I think when the pipes come in. Both are black sandblasted. The Deluxe is PSB blasted. Spigot systems don't offer that, but they are $50 cheaper USD so I'm not complaining lol.

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
Weird! I have a double post there.
Took advantage of a little sale Smokingpipes.com has. Grabbed a Spigot 314 :)
I'm hoping in the next week to grab a Spigot 307 as well. I'll then let my standard system 307 go, but I'll keep my standard system 303.
It's all slowly coming together! I have four pipes en route, can't wait to smoke them. I need to get involved with the "show off your Peterson pipe" thread. I have a nice little collection growing.

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
I've been loving my deluxe 307. Today my deluxe 314 came in, it's so tiny! Lol...

It feels like a little baby pipe on comparison. It's going to be a nice quick smoker I think.

Attachments

• 20240424_133336.jpg
    20240424_133336.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 6

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
I love my Deluxe systems. For me the condenser really helps keep things dry, I never have gurgle with them while smoking wetter tobbaccos which is amazing.

Reactions: keith929