PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
at some point you need to dry your tobacco enough and pack your bowl light enough, once you get drying and loading down it might solve all your problems.

I tried the meer buttons and found out that again it was more about drying and loading that i needed to work on and the buttons were just an extra cost i didn't need, that and I moved to filtered pipes LOL

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
at some point you need to dry your tobacco enough and pack your bowl light enough, once you get drying and loading down it might solve all your problems.

I tried the meer buttons and found out that again it was more about drying and loading that i needed to work on and the buttons were just an extra cost i didn't need, that and I moved to filtered pipes LOL
I know you're right, those things have helped a lot. Every now and again though I mess up and get burnt.

Reactions: OverMountain

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I know you're right, those things have helped a lot. Every now and again though I mess up and get burnt.
I used to not get severe burns but by the end of the night my tongue would just be a tiny bit "puffy" like i would eat certain things or drink cold water and i'd feel it even though it wasn't horrible, i finally moved to just filtered pipes and never had a problem again, at some point it wasn't worth it to me to worry about. I still have some unfiltered pipes but i smoke them less often and really dry the hell out whatever I'm going to smoke in them, also take smaller sips on them than the big pulls on my filtered pipes.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I used to not get severe burns but by the end of the night my tongue would just be a tiny bit "puffy" like i would eat certain things or drink cold water and i'd feel it even though it wasn't horrible, i finally moved to just filtered pipes and never had a problem again, at some point it wasn't worth it to me to worry about. I still have some unfiltered pipes but i smoke them less often and really dry the hell out whatever I'm going to smoke in them, also take smaller sips on them than the big pulls on my filtered pipes.
I have some filtered pipes it ain't helping. I got burnt so bad I haven't been able to smoke for 6 days now and I'm about 90% better today. My tongue swelled and my lip on one side swelled. I struggled to chew food. It's almost like I'm allergic but I don't think so because most of the time I dont get tongue bite anymore but then bam I do and it's bad.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I have some filtered pipes it ain't helping. I got burnt so bad I haven't been able to smoke for 6 days now and I'm about 90% better today. My tongue swelled and my lip on one side swelled. I struggled to chew food. It's almost like I'm allergic but I don't think so because most of the time I dont get tongue bite anymore but then bam I do and it's bad.
What are you smoking ? Its possible you are having a hyper reaction to burleys. About 20% of people do as a result of higher nitrate levels in burleys.

Reactions: Coreios

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
What are you smoking ? Its possible you are having a hyper reaction to burleys. About 20% of people do as a result of higher nitrate levels in burleys.
Im a heavy cigarette smoker and it says it has Burley and Virginia in it. I smoke a lot of Sutliff, also I have Match Barking Dog, Match Revelation, Match Nightcap, and Match Early Morning. Not sure if Sutliff makes those too?

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
Im a heavy cigarette smoker and it says it has Burley and Virginia in it. I smoke a lot of Sutliff, also I have Match Barking Dog, Match Revelation, Match Nightcap, and Match Early Morning. Not sure if Sutliff makes those too?

Cigarette burley is so overly processed that the end product doesn't resemble the burley tobacco that is used in pipe tobacco. Because cigarette tobacco is processed as much as it is, the compounds in it are broken down to the point that they don't react as much with your body's chemistry. I have a sensitivity to burley tobacco, not to the point that my mouth swells, but I get bad mouth/tongue bite from burley dominate blends. Heck even the old OTC blends do a number on my mouth.

Now looking at your smoking list, you've got 2 old school OTC blends and 2 blends that were more or less an OTC blend. All four of those have a high proportion of their total make up of, you guessed it, burleys.

I have a suggestion for you. Order yourself an ounce of sutliff 507C Virginia Slices and an ounce of Peter Stokkebye PS701 Virginia. Take a bowl of each of those for a spin and see if you develop tongue bite.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Cigarette burley is so overly processed that the end product doesn't resemble the burley tobacco that is used in pipe tobacco. Because cigarette tobacco is processed as much as it is, the compounds in it are broken down to the point that they don't react as much with your body's chemistry. I have a sensitivity to burley tobacco, not to the point that my mouth swells, but I get bad mouth/tongue bite from burley dominate blends. Heck even the old OTC blends do a number on my mouth.

Now looking at your smoking list, you've got 2 old school OTC blends and 2 blends that were more or less an OTC blend. All four of those have a high proportion of their total make up of, you guessed it, burleys.

I have a suggestion for you. Order yourself an ounce of sutliff 507C Virginia Slices and an ounce of Peter Stokkebye PS701 Virginia. Take a bowl of each of those for a spin and see if you develop tongue bite.
I actually just ordered more tobacco yesterday. Haunted Bookshop, Autumn Evening, Bayou Morning, and 7 Seas Red. Im gonna check whats in those. I'm going to go check what's in those. Thanks.

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
Haunted Bookshop, Autumn Evening and 7 Seas are all heavy burley blends. Bayou Morning is 75% Virginia and 25% perique. If you haven't smoked a Vaper yet, slow and steady is the way to do it, especially a perique bomb like Bayou Morning.

Basically anything that is an aromatic is going to be burley based, although it may be a cavendished burley, which you may not have as much of a sensitivity to.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Haunted Bookshop, Autumn Evening and 7 Seas are all heavy burley blends. Bayou Morning is 75% Virginia and 25% perique. If you haven't smoked a Vaper yet, slow and steady is the way to do it, especially a perique bomb like Bayou Morning.

Basically anything that is an aromatic is going to be burley based, although it may be a cavendished burley, which you may not have as much of a sensitivity to.
Black Cavendish is one of my favs and it gets me everytime. Not as bad though but enough. And no I haven't had Vaper yet thanks for the heads up. I love Latakia but I think thats a process not a tobacco type? Are any of my Match blends I mention safe? The Nightcap and Early Morning don't mention Burley, but they do have Latakia.

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
Latakia is both a type of tobacco and a process. Latakia is a turkish tobacco, but is also fire cured. Nightcap and EMP should be safer bets for you from the burley standpoint, but you'll need to develop a good cadence to not burn your tongue with them as well.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Latakia is both a type of tobacco and a process. Latakia is a turkish tobacco, but is also fire cured. Nightcap and EMP should be safer bets for you from the burley standpoint, but you'll need to develop a good cadence to not burn your tongue with them as well.
Thanks a lot, this has been a year long battle with tongue bite. I've literally tried everything from packing, Biotine, slowing down, new pipes, filters, lighting techniques, pairing different food & drinks, breathing different . I really hope you're right because I don't want to give this up.

Reactions: Buffalo

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
Thanks a lot, this has been a year long battle with tongue bite. I've literally tried everything from packing, Biotine, slowing down, new pipes, filters, lighting techniques, pairing different food & drinks, breathing different . I really hope you're right because I don't want to give this up.
Hopefully it's just your body chemistry and you will be able to find what variant works with you physically and you can enjoy. Keep us updated!

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Hopefully it's just your body chemistry and you will be able to find what variant works with you physically and you can enjoy. Keep us updated!

I've smoked 6 bowls since I last spoke to you and my mouth feels great! I was only at 90% healed yesterday im about 100% today. I've never been able to smoke a bowl with out full bite, or at minimum a mild irritation because even when I smoked something non-Burley I always had Burley in the same day. Thank you very much! So happy to finally fully enjoy my pipe!

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I've smoked 6 bowls since I last spoke to you and my mouth feels great! I was only at 90% healed yesterday im about 100% today. I've never been able to smoke a bowl with out full bite, or at minimum a mild irritation because even when I smoked something non-Burley I always had Burley in the same day. Thank you very much! So happy to finally fully enjoy my pipe!
So its been a couple of days now and my mouth is 100% healed, and I've smoked several bowls. Today for the sake of seeing, I smoked a bowl of something I knew was Burley. 5 minutes into it and my mouth started to feel like it was going to blister. I dumped it before real damage was done. You were 100% right. Thanks!

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
So its been a couple of days now and my mouth is 100% healed, and I've smoked several bowls. Today for the sake of seeing, I smoked a bowl of something I knew was Burley. 5 minutes into it and my mouth started to feel like it was going to blister. I dumped it before real damage was done. You were 100% right. Thanks!
Burley tobacco is just a killer of mere mortals.
I saw white Burley, is that the same thing and or do I need to avoid all Burley's?

Reactions: kcghost

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Glad you figured it out! I know a guy who is Virginia sensitive, but generally only for straight or heavy Virginia blends.