PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I'm formulating an order for Esterval's and was wondering about the current status of Director's Cut. I've seen several previous threads mentioning that the recipe was changed and not in a good way, and several hinted that the situation has been or is resolved. I really like this blend and have a good amount in the cellar already so I don't need to order now if the current offering is not on par with that of 2017.

Have any other HU blends been affected similarly, particularly Old Fredders?

Thanks in advance.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
IIRC, the blend may have changed after 2016, at least according to some of the responses I remember reading on this board.

I've got a Kilo of 2019 sealed in jars, and about 200 g. in a bail jar I smoke out of. I've added about 17% 2017 PS 311 Perique to the jar I smoke out of. Not that the altered 2019 version was bad, I like the added plum and spice the 311 brought to the blend.

Might as well hold off on an order anyway. They won't be shipping any DC until Feb 2022 according to their website.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Jim and/or Jesse are the right guys to address this directly and will hopefully chime in. My takeaway in talking with Jim at least is that the current iteration of Director’s Cut is materially improved but still different from what it was originally. I think the operative word is different, not necessarily markedly worse, which was the consensus on the version put out a couple of years ago.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The current version has a reduced amount of dark fired than what we've been seeing the last five years in an attempt to return to the original formula. But, K&K did not up the perique to where it used to be. The blend is sweeter now than in any incarnation I have smoked since I first tried it in 2013. Less dark fruit, more citrus, and a tad creamier and sugary with less spice.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Just be happy to have less dark fired. It so unbalanced the blend that it was all I could taste. I'm giving my kilo of the K&K crapped up version a few more years so see if it mellows, If not, into the garbage it goes as it's not worth smoking.
Lol this fn guy

Reactions: sablebrush52

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
No experience pre 2016/17. All I know is I enjoy Louisiana Broken and Old Fredders current iteration 2019/20 more than Directors Cut. Louisiana Broken got the edge as to my palate it had more going on but both are multiple repeat purchases. I will be trying Directors Cut again after Feb to try it with less DFK.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I bought some in 2019 when it was all the rage and before word got out that the recipe changed. My thoughts were that its a decent smoke, not bad, but I couldn't understand why it was so highly regarded as a top shelf vaper. I figured I just wasn't in with the cool kids.

Reactions: FurCoat