PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Nothing Disco about it. Disco just happened to pop up during the golden era of Danish freehand design.

Starting to sound like the term was a regional thing. My "home B&M" back then was legit, a group of five stores---Carl Ehwa managed one, and Mike McNiel was on the warehouse payroll---so it wasn't like some tiny shop was using the term as a joke. The owner knew his stuff.

Oh well. Without a time machine we'll never know.

As for the pipe itself, since someone asked, no, it isn't mine. I just recently worked on it and thought it was interesting. Hadn't seen one in decades.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
When I think disco my mind always wanders to the awful clothing (which I never wore 🙄 ahem*) like Faded Glory, French Connection, Sergio Valenté and Pierre Cardin. I didn’t smoke a pipe back then as pipe smokers were all… curmudgeonly. Thank goodness I didn’t turn out like them…. Another Ahem*

Maybe, you guys are just hung up on what you are seeing now in movies, which is NOT actually what the Disco era was like, but more of retro-Disco. If you weren't "there" in the 70's, then all you have is what the media today tells you it was like.

But, these look very much "Disco Era" pipes to me. No, not the Gibb boys prancing about, and actual discoteque flashy lights and feather boas. Discos rarely ever looked as if they'd have you believe in movies anyways. Saturday night Fever was NOT the way every disco looked.

But... the era of discos, was...
1696595308111.png

1696595337348.png

1696595390964.png

So, as an aesthetician, I'd say Georged is correct. The Scandinavia Craft style was emerging from the 60's "looks like it grew that way" style, into spheres connected to cylinders and squares style. Funky mix up geometry, guys playing with lathes, making those weird chair leg looking stems.

I don't think he meant pipes for Funky Town or Donna Summers.

That's just my take on it.

Funny though, a bunch of guys born after Nixon, telling us what they think the 70's was like, ha ha.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Having started smoking a pipe during the summer of 1972 and partying with the wife through the disco era, I don't remember seeing anyone smoking a Danish Freehand. The other pipe smokers I saw or knew were smoking straight pipes usually made by Kaywoodie or Dr. Grabow. A few of us smoked bent pipes.