PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Some say they smoke cooler but people here seem to say otherwise. I think my decision will be to use my credit for a new normal style pipe and pick up an estate churchwarden. I had one long ago but it got left behind in the move to Europe. I dont know that I used it enough to form a clear opinion. Thanks All!

Reactions: Toast

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Do you need a churchwarden? Of course not. But should you buy one? That depends on how bad you need one. If it's something you always wanted to try, be it for the cooler smoke or the channeling your inner fantasy LoTR character or your on a mission to some every style of pipe or you like the way they look or your particular lifestyle could use a long stem pipe for smoking? Then go for it! If you don't particularly care for them but feel it's something every pipe smoker needs, well if that's good enough for you then ok by me. But if the shape (length as well in this case) does nothing for you, then you can easily skip them and get something that makes you want to smoke it.

Just to throw something else out there, have you looked at demi wardens? Those stems like 7-9 inches, in between a proper churchwarden and a standard length pipe (whatever that means to you). I have a Danish that's a good 8 inches long, my Brigham Canadian is just about 7, and I have a couple long Forever Stems on cobs. I found that to be just perfect for me and my varying milage.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I "needed" a churchwarden at one time. It only took one smoke to learn I didn't need it all. There was no upside to having an overly long stem.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Thanks. I decided to camp out and wait for a less expensive estate to come along. If there is no big upside there are many other pipes I want more. Waiting for a delivery from Alpacia today. Getting impatient!