PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I have issues walking so it stays where I leave it. It causes me pain to walk on my ankle (bad break, decent surgeon, could only work with what he had). I'd rather deal with the looks than the constant daily pain being exacerbated.
I don't think being handicapped is the same thing as being lazy. I'd give you a pass on this.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I think they are likely the same people. Example: yesterday I was outside in my front yard and this fellow drives by (way too fast, I mean, why should he have to drive responsibly in our neighborhood?) and tosses a water bottle out his car window. A neighbor's trash can was sitting by the curb and this person was trying to land a shot. He missed, so that meant someone else got to clean up after him. I'd be willing to bet he's the same kind of person that doesn't return his shopping cart.
That guy most certainly would not return a shopping cart.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I have issues walking so it stays where I leave it. It causes me pain to walk on my ankle (bad break, decent surgeon, could only work with what he had). I'd rather deal with the looks than the constant daily pain being exacerbated.
You’re an obvious exception and not A dbag. I can even understand not returning it in a heavy downpour. Everyone else: D’bags

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At the grocery, I will return the cart to the bay provided in the parking lot which is regularly monitored by store staff who return the carts to the store.

At my local drugstore chain, where carts are left on the sidewalk outside, I usually roll it back inside the story. The selfless reason for this is that I spare the check-out person from having to hustle carts at the end of his/her shift. The enlightened self-interest is that carts get stolen and raise the costs to the store and its customers.

Rarely, if i am under pressure for time, I will leave the cart on the sidewalk or wheel it back near the door.

Reactions: JOHN72

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Always except in a blizzard or if on rare occasion I just don't give a rat's ass. Once, twice a year or so.

I like finding a cart at another store or parking lot and righteously wheeling it over to the correct rack. What a dichotomy!

Reactions: JOHN72

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
In Brazil I return the trolley to the proper spot (no money involved...).
In Australia I did the same (but got my $1 or 2$ coin back).
In London I usually let one of the homeless people take the trolley back so they could collect the £1. Actually, Sainsbury's in Whitechapel took out an injunction against these people who were always polite and didn't complain if the trolley user said no when asked if they could take the trolley back; they got a lot of bad publicity locally and relented

There are some countries where the shopping cart return man service, payed by the Center, is regarded as a real job for unskilled workers, that provides some small income for the family at least.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
A cart? That's a single axled contraption made out of wood, not to be confused with a barrow, which whilst similar to a cart is normally pulled along by hand, not by a horse, which is the favoured method if you own a cart. What you're referring to is a shopping 'trolley'. Stroll on, don't you yanks know nothing?
Round my way, the most popular way of return or disposal is via the local river or canal.

A cart? That's a single axled contraption made out of wood, not to be confused with a barrow, which whilst similar to a cart is normally pulled along by hand, not by a horse, which is the favoured method if you own a cart. What you're referring to is a shopping 'trolley'. Stroll on, don't you yanks know nothing?
Round my way, the most popular way of return or disposal is via the local river or canal.
Down here in the South, the true South, we call them "buggies." The word "Cart," is abrasive sounding, and hard on the ears. "May I return your buggie for you ma'am?"
"Go get me one of them buggies, Junior."
"Don't put that in my buggie."

And, what Northerners call golf carts... KARTz... we also call buggies. "Gandpaw got em one of them buggies to tool around the lake in."

Kartz... sounds like a cat hockin' a hairball, or maybe of German origins.

Whether you are virtuous by putting the Kartz up for people or not, are you being abrasive and harsh on everyone's ears?

I love it when a beautiful woman asks me for my shopping cart, and I tell her, keep the change, and if you regret it, here's my phone number. Damn it. I bet 20 pounds of tobacco, that the Mariana Trench, is full of shopping carts, bras, and some dentures. View attachment 245456
The Mariana Trench is where I put all of my empty tins... like a cauliflower. puffy