PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Does better grain equal better taste?

I know that pipe makers reserve the best briar grain for their stained pipes and use the less consistent briar for rusticated finishes. Does this translate into better taste for natural grain bowls vs. rusticated?

Reason I ask is I have two pipes (A Peterson 05 Dublin Filter and an Amadeus, both 9mm) with beautiful grain that smoke miles ahead of my other pipes, all of which are rusticated or super dark finish. As much as I love my Peterson System Heritage 303, it still has some elbows and knees in the smoke.

Let me know what your think, o men of experience.

Reactions: yanoJL and mingc

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I know that pipe makers reserve the best briar grain for their stained pipes and use the less consistent briar for rusticated finishes.
Some reserve their best grain for ring blasts.

20210801_230041.jpg

Does this translate into better taste for natural grain bowls vs. rusticated?
Does drinking through a straw with stripes taste different than one without stripes?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No, I think smoking characteristics come with each pipe independent of the material, finish, grain, appearance, etc. The action happens between the cake or thin carbon layer in the chamber, the tobacco ember, and the airway.

I have wondered if unfinished pipes somehow smoke better than others, in some way breathe better, but I have decided this may be more of a tactile cue, from holding the unfinished pipe, with its natural feel, rather than any difference with the smoke related to the finish or non-finish itself.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Does better grain equal better taste?

I know that pipe makers reserve the best briar grain for their stained pipes and use the less consistent briar for rusticated finishes. Does this translate into better taste for natural grain bowls vs. rusticated?

Reason I ask is I have two pipes (A Peterson 05 Dublin Filter and an Amadeus, both 9mm) with beautiful grain that smoke miles ahead of my other pipes, all of which are rusticated or super dark finish. As much as I love my Peterson System Heritage 303, it still has some elbows and knees in the smoke.

Let me know what your think, o men of experience.
There is still grain under the dark finish or is it visible grain that tastes good? ✌️

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Straight grain pipes have the capillaries running vertical, this means that a microemulsion of tars and oils from combustion move parallel to the burning tobacco thus creating a cooler drier smoke. Where as cross grain pipes have the capillaries running perpendicular to combustion creating a cross draft of the microemulsion forcing all the tars and oils back into the burning tobacco thus producing a hotter wetter smoke.

Ring blasts made from straight grain pipes further cool the smoke by increasing the surface area of the pipe and allowing for more cooling via the additional surface area in addition to having the capillary action of a smooth straight grain.

If you believe any of this I have some straight grain pipes for sale...nnnn

Didn't you have a pipe that leaked along the grain? It was very cool in a weird way.
Yep, I cut it in half to show how the grain does allow the tars and seepage to flow, but it is very very small capillaries. Plus, the grain ran sideways. It was a blasted pipe.
When I would smoke it, my hands would get covered in tars, and in a few places, the tars came out in a lot grosser way, like a blackhead getting lanced, ha ha. But, it was very inconsistent in how it oozed.

cross grain pipes have the capillaries running perpendicular to combustion creating a cross draft of the microemulsion forcing all the tars and oils back into the burning tobacco thus producing a hotter wetter smoke.
I do think that "some" crossgrain pipes have a movement of tars and oils. We would really have to smoke, cut, and examine a lot of pipes with various different varieties of briar, and from various parts of the burl to get an idea of what is really happening in "some" pipes. But, as far as the grain forcing oils back into the chamber... I don't think this is an issue. I've never had a problem with any of my cross grain pipes smoking wet, nor really different from any other grain pattern. Someone would have really delve into smoking and cutting a lot of pipes to verify that with whether it smokes any wetter.

Reactions: mingc and dunnyboy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Smokers purchase pipes primarily based upon aesthetics plus meeting other metrics such as size, shape, brand reputation, etc.. In my experience, grain has zero to do with the smoking quality. Don't pay extra money for straight grain if you're doing so because you expect the pipe to smoke better. Do it because you like how it looks.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Yep, I cut it in half to show how the grain does allow the tars and seepage to flow, but it is very very small capillaries. Plus, the grain ran sideways. It was a blasted pipe.
When I would smoke it, my hands would get covered in tars, and in a few places, the tars came out in a lot grosser way, like a blackhead getting lanced, ha ha. But, it was very inconsistent in how it oozed.
I wished I bookmarked your post with the picture of the vivisectioned stummel. I can't find it. (You have too many posts!)

I wished I bookmarked your post with the picture of the vivisectioned stummel. I can't find it. (You have too many posts!)
I just remember someone was taunting me to hurry up and post them, even though I was in another state at the time. I remember that vividly, because I had to set an alert to take the pics as soon as I got back home. I can't remember who the taunter was, but it was obnoxious. Ha ha. It was in some other thread, because the guy was bugging me across several threads. Let me check my phone to see if it is in there.

• Haha
Reactions: mingc