PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
In cleaning out drawers in my bathroom I found a Gillette double edged razor I’ve not used in maybe forty years. There were some blades with it, and I lathered up and used it and I like it! I have to shave a little slower with a double edge than my usual 5 bladed Harry’s razor but I get to use a cool antique Gillette razor and lots of hot water.

What’s the best double edge razor blade?

I don’t think Marxman made any.:)

Dave760

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
I've tried many, and now use only Feather blades. They're not for everyone (they seem to be impossibly sharp), but if you can get used to them they're great. For me, at least, they also last longer than others I've tried.

(Regarding soaps and creams: My collection of those is reminiscent of my collection of pipe tobaccos. But if I had to choose one, it'd be Avocado shaving cream from Taylor of Old Bond Street.)

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I bought my adjustable double edged razor in a flea market in college for a dollar. Turns out it’s a sixties Gillette “Slim”.

—-

The difference between the Gillette Fatboy and Slim razors is that the Gillette Slim, as the name implies is trimmer, slimmer and lighter than the Fatboy, surprisingly it is also marginally longer. The Gillette Fatboy has a slightly shorter, fatter handle.

The Fatboy was launched in autumn 1958 and it was only made for only three and a half years with production stopping in early 1962. The Slim was launched as an upgrade to the Fatboy in 1961. It was made from mid-1961 until late 1968. It became an instant hit when it launched and no doubt sales were boosted further when James Bond played by Sean Connery used a Slim in the 1964 movie Goldfinger.

The Fatboy and the Slim benefit from butterfly opening doors and high build quality. The build quality was so good, sales for new razors dropped off and Gillette was forced to rethink their business model in order to survive and a decision was made to focus on selling cheap, low grade razors often at a loss to entice buyers into buying multi blade Excel and later Mach3 cartridge blades.

Both the Fatboy and Slim were made from nickel plated brass. Later luxury models featured gold plating.

Today, good condition Fatboy and Slim razors can fetch £200, fully restored and rhodium plated versions even more.

IMG_5315.jpeg
——

When you must shave in hurry an old time double edge is not the best choice, I think. But of you have a few minutes to heat up the razor and lather up and enjoy the shave, they really do shave well.

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I have a Gillette Slim, some other Gillette and a single edge Ever Ready 1912 (I think).

Different blade suit different people.

I didn't like Derby.
Feather I felt was really sharp but rough.
I settled on Astra which I found to be sharp but smooth.

But what suits me might not suit you.

You can get sample packs.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I’ve got a nice electric trimmer thing that is terrific and keeps my “beard” to 4mm when trimmed, lol. Otherwise, I steal the wife’s whatever razor for delicate areas. ;) Shaving is an annoyance to me, I think I was 19 before it was even a daily concern, haha. Promised my wife I’d go smooth for the daughter’s wedding and even though she can’t be there and won’t even understand it’s happening it would please my mom!

Love ya’ @Briar Lee, but what’s next - copper boiler to heat the water for a weekly bath?

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
So far I’ve ordered online 10 Feather’s blades, a bar of Arko soap and a boar’s hair brush, all for $25.

And while getting cat food at the Dollar store they had Daxton blades for a dollar and genuine original Barbasol for $3.

This is fun, and doesn’t cost much.

By the way,,,,,whatever happened to Burma Shave?
Hope you enjoy the Arko. It’s a scent like no other. I love it. Once I found it, I never have a reason to try anything else. I order the pucks.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Haven't used them since I played with them when I was a kid. Used to shave daily when I was with a corporation at first. Then we went casual all the time. So didn't shave. That's when I realized I don't have to shave for a week to notice any hair on my face. And no ingrown hairs either. So got an electric shaver and just trim around mustache and the soul patch.

After 20+ years with Gillette Mach 3 Turbo, I have suddenly gone hipster with a Mercur 34c.

To be honest, Mach 3 Turbo gives a decent shave in 3 minutes, and is still the efficient choice to me.

However, I am liking the 30 minute ritual in the evening. It takes time, but with a proper blade it can give a better shave

Trying a lot of things but this is what is working for me

1. Razor - Mercur 34c (Works wonderfully with an aggressive blade). Yet to try an aggressive razor with a mild blade

2. Shaving Soap - Taylor of Old Bond Street and Proraso are both working excellent. Viking Revolution is horrible

3. After buying a cheap pure badger brush I instantly regretted my decision. Favorite is now a Parker Silver Tip with Olive Wood handle

4. I use a pre-shave oil which works, but probably not necessary

5. I like aggressive blades. Still not tried Feather, but Gillette Perma Sharp is excellent. German made Wilkinson Sword is also good. Astra Platinum and Derby is about average. Shark, Personna, and Treet did not work for me.

6. An alum bar - Unbranded

7. I was not using after shave before, but I had a couple which came with my colognes. I use those when I am using a cologne, but otherwise for my evening shaves I have gone codger with Nivea (Excellent) and Aqua Velva (Just for a giggle)

Not new to safety razors. I used a safety razor during my college days to budget.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
In cleaning out drawers in my bathroom I found a Gillette double edged razor I’ve not used in maybe forty years. There were some blades with it, and I lathered up and used it and I like it! I have to shave a little slower with a double edge than my usual 5 bladed Harry’s razor but I get to use a cool antique Gillette razor and lots of hot water.

What’s the best double edge razor blade?

I don’t think Marxman made any.:)
for me the only blade is Feather from Japan. They're sharp and hold an edge. My beard grows in so thick any other blade makes things a pita.