PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
Alan Harrelson of The Pipe Cottage visited Chesterton’s in Ohio yesterday and held a blending session with about 30 pipers in attendance. The new proprietary blend is named for St. Bede and has a healthy dose of Latakia. An impromptu banjo and bluegrass session followed.

Attachments

• IMG_4553.jpeg
    IMG_4553.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4538.jpeg
    IMG_4538.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 62

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Well, I suppose even his Ph. D in history just can’t overcome your regional linguistical bias. Your loss.
I don't have an opinion on the guy but he's not well liked on this forum after the last thread that got posted about him. I actually enjoyed his channel when he first started posting and it was mostly pipe focused, then he started going off the rails a bit. Not sure if you watch his youtube stuff or know him in real life, but..

For someone who's supposedly a humble, selfless Christian man he sure does like to talk about: his new land acquisitions, his new truck, his wifes new suv, his new dogs, the new horses, his pipe collection and...should I go on?

And that's great for him, glad he's found success in life, this is America after all and you're free to make it (for now) but he strikes me as a bit disingenuous being such a god fearing man, then making a 15minute youtube video about all his material possessions and don't forget to like, subscribe and hit that bell icon! I dunno, just weird. Like you have a pipe channel, talk about the pipe stuff.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Well, I suppose even his Ph. D in history just can’t overcome your regional linguistical bias. Your loss.
I’ve lived in the south for 25 years. Many of the most brilliant people I know have thick southern accents and I love both the people and the accents. These facts do not change my opinion that this dude is a fool that talks like Foghorn Leghorn.

If you think he’s brilliant, that’s totally cool. I love that you love him and I truly hope you enjoy his content as much as I dislike it.

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
I started this thread with a positive vibe, but I guess haters gonna hate. As far as Harrelson showing off his “new SUV,” my suggestion is that rather than be jealous get up off the couch and get yourself a slice of the American Dream, too.

rick3wood

Might Stick Around
Oct 24, 2022
The Lone Star State
I've not seen evidence of that. He got pretty nasty with a few youtube smokers and had a meltdown when he found out he had to pay taxes if he opened a B&M. I'm as Appalachian as the next mountain folk and that accent is as made up as his experience with pipes.
his accent is real,as far his B&M it was the requirement that he reveal all his customers information to the state that he didn’t like..not pay taxes
he has his faults like we all do,but he has a big following on YT [ at least in pipe smoking category with 34k subs

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
his accent is real,as far his B&M it was the requirement that he reveal all his customers information to the state that he didn’t like..not pay taxes
he has his faults like we all do,but he has a big following on YT [ at least in pipe smoking category with 34k subs
The requirement was specific to his plan for an online business, which states require for collecting sales tax.
Comparing himself to Patrick Henry was a bit much.

To each their own.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
I started this thread with a positive vibe, but I guess haters gonna hate. As far as Harrelson showing off his “new SUV,” my suggestion is that rather than be jealous get up off the couch and get yourself a slice of the American Dream, too.
I'm good dude, unlike Mr. Harlson I don't have to tell the world about my success. Thanks for the positive vibes.

Friendly Piper

Might Stick Around
Sep 22, 2023
Northern Virginia
Alan Harrelson of The Pipe Cottage visited Chesterton’s in Ohio yesterday and held a blending session with about 30 pipers in attendance. The new proprietary blend is named for St. Bede and has a healthy dose of Latakia. An impromptu banjo and bluegrass session followed.

Mike, thanks for sharing. That’s an interesting event and I’d have wanted to attend if I were in the area.

I remember that Dr. Harrelson had a very public blow-up on YouTube and have seen him be fairly judgmental of others (both in prescribing how pipe smokers should behave and in ridiculing those with different political or social views). I also have seen him humbled and offer a sincere apology for some of that behavior (if I remember correctly, John David Cole of the Country Squire gave him some good counsel).

All of that is to say that each of us is flawed and complicated. I try to offer others the grace I hope will be offered to me. With few exceptions, I find something worthwhile in people I was tempted to dismiss. And every now and then I make a connection with someone whose mind I can change (or who can change mine)!

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
He was being himself, and pissed off 99% of his audience.
He got contrite and gained back 15%.
Utube money is a harsh mistress.
I still don’t like him, don’t have to, and don’t have to be polite when he’s brought up. He made the bed.
Anybody remember Rich Gottlieb?

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
So, we either like him or we’re jealous welfare queens? Do you hear yourself?

PS, I just bought a new SUV, it’s not germane to the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.