PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
I currently own a Pete 314 System Standard, and although it do provide a cool dry smoke, it eventually does gurgle and gets moisture all the way up and in my mouth. Not a fan of the nasty sour taste that comes with it...
Im not a fast and hot smoker and like to sip my pipes. Im kinda let down that this pipe isnt all its cracked up to be.
What are some pipes (or shapes) you'd recommend that smoke dry? I know true calabash are good smokers but I'm not a big fan of the looks. Thx!

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I learned the way to go is “dryer than you think” then after you figure that out work backwards. I also, like many here, keep a couple pipe cleaners next to me because once in awhile it’s worth a quick swabbing during a bowl to head off the gurgle you can tell is building up. The other thing is it might not be the pipe or tobacco, let’s face it soon you might just be a drooler ?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I currently own a Pete 314 System Standard, and although it do provide a cool dry smoke, it eventually does gurgle and gets moisture all the way up and in my mouth. Not a fan of the nasty sour taste that comes with it...
Im not a fast and hot smoker and like to sip my pipes. Im kinda let down that this pipe isnt all its cracked up to be.
What are some pipes (or shapes) you'd recommend that smoke dry? I know true calabash are good smokers but I'm not a big fan of the looks. Thx!
what embers said and also filters or falcons or falcons with filters.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
BTW, the Peterson System Standard has a military bit that you can safely remove hot to swab the well if you tend to be a wet smoker. That 314 is actually a great pipe for you!
The advice given re technique, however is sound.

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
BTW, the Peterson System Standard has a military bit that you can safely remove hot to swab the well if you tend to be a wet smoker. That 314 is actually a great pipe for you!
The advice given re technique, however is sound.
Yeah most my pipes are army mounts for that reason. I was just over expecting (miracle pipe) with my poor smoking ability.

Reactions: jiminy