PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
This is a pipe I started as a commission. When I had it about done, I ran into a large flaw and so the shape went in a different direction. It became what you see now. When I got it to this point, I found a crack running all the way across the bottom.
I tend to finish pipes I start as they are good practice, even if not what they started out as.
I made the stem for it today and didn't want to just stick a stem in it, so put some creativity into it with the bubbles. I could have gone a bit shorter, but as it's going to be a shop pipe, didn't want to spend anymore time on it.
Hopefully the bottom doesn't blow out on the first smoke. :)
DrunkenPoker.jpg

omni

Lurker
Feb 10, 2012
wow what a beautiful pipe. Hopefully the crack turns out to be purely cosmetic.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
That's a fine looking pipe, Hopefully the crack you mentioned will not get any worse and it will be a fine smoker. Crack or no crack, it's still a good looking pipe. :puffy:

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
First of all, the pipe smokes fantastic... I actually had to pack it a bit tighter than I usually do. Not sure if it was because of the depth, or that I got the drilling spot on. Either way, it's a great smoking pipe.
The guy that commissioned the pipe did see it and loved the shape. So...... I made the replacement and it looks almost identical, just a tad thicker walls and a bit taller. (More below the shank, not above it) He also wanted an acrylic stem, so I used the one on this one as a practice stem to see what he thought about the shaping.
Thanks for the positive remarks and after smoking the first time with no issues, it may just last a while. :)

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I ordered this pipe, asked for a double plateau freehand and I am sorry this one ended up with a crack, because that flame grain is a beauty and looks like it'll hold an 1+ hour puff of tobacco.
Looking forward to seeing the pics of the Double Plateau Freehand Pipe 2.0 :puffy:
and smokindawg you should be proud of that pipe, crack or no.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Zanthal, your correct about the 1+ hour of smoking. I've now smoked this pipe twice, only filling it 1/2 to 2/3 the way full. Both smoked very well for well over an hour. The bore on both pipes is 7/8" and over 2" deep. And although both pipes are bigger, both are light for the size so clenching is no problem at all.
After the show, I'll be working on and finishing up "Drunken Poker 2.0" and I am sure you'll enjoy it as much as I'm enjoying this cracked/flawed piece of briar.

Status
Not open for further replies.