PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I met my Navy minesweeper after flying to the Philippines and bussing from Clark Air Force base to Subic Bay, to leave the next day for Vietnam, being new aboard, I was immediately assigned to haul bags to the dumpster.

When I swung open the big dumpster door, to my amazement there was a little recycling factory in there, with a group of people diligently sorting and bagging materials they wanted to salvage, locals who used the superabundance of the Yankee Navy as a resource to be mined. I carefully deposited my bags of refuse in the assembly line of re-use and gently closed the door each time I brought out two other bags of trash. I admired their orderly and industrious work effort.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Many moons ago when I lived in Suffolk I was staggering home from the pub one evening when I spotted an overflowing skip on the other side of the road.

I wobbled over to it and after a quick rummage I pulled out an old brass fire fender, brass & copper coal scuttle and something else that escapes me.

My then girlfriend was none too happy with me bringing home this 'junk' as she called it. However her face lit up when at the weekend I took it to an antique shop and got £50 for the lot. £50 was quite a sum back then.

Regards,

Jay.

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Picked up this 1930s desk chair from the bin area of our flats when we lived in London about a year ago. The original upholstery was ripped and one arm was coming off, but everything else was fine. Can't believe someone wanted to just throw it away!IMG20230728112224.jpgIMG20230728112157.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20230728112224.jpg
    IMG20230728112224.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 0
Jan 27, 2020
Picked up this 1930s desk chair from the bin area of our flats when we lived in London about a year ago. The original upholstery was ripped and one arm was coming off, but everything else was fine. Can't believe someone wanted to just throw it away!View attachment 236069View attachment 236067

That upholstery looks like it would smell of Lakeland aka a grandma's purse.

Jan 27, 2020
Plenty of scores in the past, but it has been a while...

Yea... it's been pretty dry for a long time for me. My girlfriend is actually better at spotting valuable home decor that's been tossed out. During the pandemic people here were in such a rush to flee they threw away a lot of good stuff. I don't think any other country in the world can compete with the USA when it comes to discarding perfectly good or valuable items.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I'm pretty sure that guy is just looking for pizza!
They get more carbs than me, yesterday was Chewy deliver day 2 22 pound bags of cat food, 2 20 pound bags of bird seed and from amazing 1 50lb bag of pick out blanched peanuts (no shells no skins only the best for them!)

The only dumpster diving i did was back in the 80s, there was a storefront "computer store" that did electronics, once in awhile they would throw out a bunch of circuit boards and me and a friend would raid the place and scrap the gold off the connectors ... you know to get rich .. LOL

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
They get more carbs than me, yesterday was Chewy deliver day 2 22 pound bags of cat food, 2 20 pound bags of bird seed and from amazing 1 50lb bag of pick out blanched peanuts (no shells no skins only the best for them!)

The only dumpster diving i did was back in the 80s, there was a storefront "computer store" that did electronics, once in awhile they would throw out a bunch of circuit boards and me and a friend would raid the place and scrap the gold off the connectors ... you know to get rich .. LOL
How many do you support? A friend of mine started feeding one and ended up with a family of 20. Cute when they’re used to humans.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't put anything in the dumpster unless it's really, really dead. I'll leave something potentially useful to someone else, next to the dumpster. Left a Herman Miller Aeron chair behind next to the dumpster in this move. It disappeared in a nanosecond. I don't regret that in the least. I don't find Aeron chairs comfortable, and they're frankly annoying when you want to tilt back because of the design philosophy, and they don't hold up, regardless of what gets written about them. Now I have a Stressless chair that is light years more comfortable than that Herman Miller.
I've left tools, kitchen materiel, whatever I didn't need that someone else could use. But never in the dumpster.

Andre_T

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
I work for a college. It amazes me what we throw away. This week I tossed 8 or so full body dummies from the nursing department. (No I wont post the pics here.) The whole time driving to the dumpster I was hoping the kids were not outside the daycare as I would be heaving naked anatomically correct bodies into the dumpster. For context the dumpster is within view of their outdoor play area. It is truly insane what we toss out.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks

My Mother in law has one that comes to her patio door every night and gets two peanut butter sandwiches, he's pretty adorable. Mine don't seem to want to have too much to do with me :cry: .

Reactions: kcghost