PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Hi hi! Sooo as I mentioned earlier in another thread, I bought a Dunny instead of taking a stab at the neat pre-rep Petes that were linked...
I have a question on the dating. Dunny Cavaliers were introduced in 1956. This one has a Patent number on it putting it prior to 1955... Here is the link:
Dunhill Cavalier
Also, is there any way to restore the white dot on the stem or am I just toast? Either way it arrived and is in fine smoking condition (with some deep cleaning) so I am happy.

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
Hi Wfybane,
Congratulations on your pipe.
Others should know the names of pipe repairmen who can restore the white dot for you.
May I ask why you say that the Cavalier was introduced in 1956?
Pete

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Well I could be mistaken, but this site hasn't failed me yet:
Dunhill shape and year chart
I was wondering if this might be a early prototype or maybe the bowl was laying around and they converted it to this pipe or something.
I can barely make out the D in England and there is no year mark after it.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
So based on that site, it is a 51-54 Dunny. The size stamp was introduced in 51 and they nixed the patent numbers after 54... which still leaves the question: when did they introduce that shape? Nitpicking, I know. I am blissfully happy to have any Dunhill from any of those years in good condition. =D

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
Not nitpicking at all, nice to know or figure these things out for oneself.
Dunhill was pretty rigid in their nomenclature so I'd go on the assumption that the pipe is earlier than 1956 (is there a year mark?) and it would appear that you have a pipe that redefines the origin date of the Cavalier.
It's not uncommon for pipe makers to have made models before they 'officially' make it a regular entry. Given the type of pipe this would seem like a normal course of events.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
That's a sweet looking old Dunhill! Not much help here about dating it, but I know Tim West does an excellent job on the white dot.-- http://www.jhlowe.com/tobacco_pipe_repairs.htm

He does great work, and in my opinion, modest prices.

Enjoy that Beauty!!

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
I would be concerned that if you replaced the white dot the pipe would move from the "original" to "restored" category.
Yes it does but without the dot it's an unrestored pipe. It should be represented as a replacement dot and then the potential buyer makes a decision on their own preferences. If the replacement dot is done very well then the pipe retains most of it's value.
If Wyfbane never sells or trades the pipe and it's a decision based on his aesthetics.
I'm smoking an old Ser Jacopo, as I write, that had the coral dot fall out. Happens to a lot of the early Jacopos. Smokes great but one day I'll get around to replacing the dot and my widow can tell potential buyers that it was replaced.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Sam, I well remember that Dunny you restored. I wanted it and felt guilt over not getting it. lol. This one will be fine with a bit of elbow grease, but I haven't seen one lately for less than $450 in any shape so I am blissfully happy.
I *am* getting ready to sell some pipes from my collection. My fiance is a loving woman but she has raised her eyebrows when I filled my 54, 36, 24, 12, 7, and 6 pipe holders respectively and have meers in cases and random 'odds n ends' pipes laying around the man cave.
I can guarantee you, my Dunhills will not be among those I ever sell. My 9 year old has already place "dibs" on 75% of my pipe collection. lol
I will of course disclose anything done to any pipe I sell. To be honest I haven't really done anything but smoke and clean them to date.

May 31, 2012
Great pipe.

Great thread.
Love the detective work,

:puffpipe:

very well done.
There are so many Dunhill collectors that I'm sure the info about the intro date is out there somewhere. This is where old catalogs are invaluable and one reason why they always sell for so much.
The Cavalier does show up in the 1951 catalog:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/1951-dunhill-catalog-very-very-very-image-heavy
And indeed, I think your pipe is from 1951.
The grp. size circle stamp was intro'd in 1951, but only on the Bruyere and Root did the capital letter follow, an A or an R respectively --- Shells did not get their fullsized S until 1952 - and your pipe has no S.
Although it's difficult to be truly definitive, I think this clue goes a long way in pinpointing it at 1951.
dunhil10.jpg

Here's a '51 Root in a very odd cavalier shape, note that it has the fullsize R stamp,

http://www.pipephil.com/article-2461906.html
One odd thing about your pipe is the use of the British patent 417574/34 which was for the inner tube with flange refinement --- pretty sure a Cavalier didn't come with an inner tube!
Wonder why they used that patent number?
Anyway,

I love that shape and style, I'll get myself one of these days, along with a Don too!

:puffy:
Yours is stunningly spectacular,

congrats!

:!:

May 31, 2012
Ah!
...just came across this 1953 Cavalier,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-HIGHLY-COLLECTIBLE-Dunhill-Cavalier-patented-estate-pipe-pipa-pfeife-pijp-/201157532306?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed5ec5a92

...it clearly has the S stamp.
A 1952 would/should look the same.
A 1951 Shell is unique in not having the S.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Thank you SO much! It is just icing on the cake that we can buy pipes with mysteries that we need to unravel. Makes the pipes that much more fun to own!
=D

Status
Not open for further replies.