PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Wondering if any of those who enjoyed the original or most recent Dunhill Durbar and London Mixture for their Oriental forward smaller amounts of Latakia would recommend either the Charatan clones or Robert McConnell clones for the least amount of Latakia.

Are there other Clones you might recommend for an Oriental lover sans Latakia?

And where would you put GL Pease's Westminster in the mix?

I must add that for a lesser-known Murray's era MM965, Ol Limey Bastard though more of a Lat Bomb is pretty amazing.

Thoughts?

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I have little to no experience with Dunhill Latakia blends, but GL Pease Westminster is a great blend on its own merit, whether or not it's a match for the old Dunhill London Blend.

Reactions: vosBghos

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I loved both Dunhill's Durbar and London Mixture on first acquaintance.
Both are amongst my favourite English/Oriental blends

Not so much GLP Westminster. Not disliking this. Just not enamoured with it
I'm holding onto this hoping time will work its magic.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I loved both Dunhill's Durbar and London Mixture on first acquaintance.
Both are amongst my favourite English/Oriental blends

Not so much GLP Westminster. Not disliking this. Just not enamoured with it
I'm holding onto this hoping time will work its magic.
So I take it you haven't tried to track down matches/clones?

WhiteCrown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2023
Pac NW, USA
I am four bowls into my first tin of Piccadilly Circus... I'll probably smoke out of this tin almost exclusively until its gone. I'm not extremely well versed on orientals, but my current favorite English and/or Balkans are C&D Super Balkan, EMP, Presbyterian, and PS English Oriental if that helps. Lately I usually only smoke an English/Balkan every 2-3 days in between VAs, burleys, and VaBurs, but this one has me hooked.

• Love
Reactions: vosBghos

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Great Question!!!

Dunhill's Durbar is one of my most cherished 'non-daily bread' tabaks. I lamented the day it disappeared; and, I cannot understand why Peterson has not brought it back after so much time has passed.

BE THAT AS IT MAY: May I direct your attention to Presbyterian Mixture. Personally, for me, this was a very similar smoking experience to that of Durbar - although I must say that Durbar is a much more sublime (whatever that means LOL!).

From the SP Product Description: "...Presbyterian Mixture is an English blend with a light application of Latakia combined with Orientals and Virginias...".

As Mr. Scott would say to Captain Kirk: "Go ahead... Ge 'eer a Trrrry now!!"

- Sherm Warped-Out Natman

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I am four bowls into my first tin of Piccadilly Circus... I'll probably smoke out of this tin almost exclusively until its gone. I'm not extremely well versed on orientals, but my current favorite English and/or Balkans are C&D Super Balkan, EMP, Presbyterian, and PS English Oriental if that helps. Lately I usually only smoke an English/Balkan every 2-3 days in between VAs, burleys, and VaBurs, but this one has me hooked.
That's crazy you listed those, pretty much the exact same among my favorites, so I'm hoping if I like London Mixture I can stock up on a good clone. Thanks

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Great Question!!!

Dunhill's Durbar is one of my most cherished 'non-daily bread' tabaks. I lamented the day it disappeared; and, I cannot understand why Peterson has not brought it back after so much time has passed.

BE THAT AS IT MAY: May I direct your attention to Presbyterian Mixture. Personally, for me, this was a very similar smoking experience to that of Durbar - although I must say that Durbar is a much more sublime (whatever that means LOL!).

From the SP Product Description: "...Presbyterian Mixture is an English blend with a light application of Latakia combined with Orientals and Virginias...".

As Mr. Scott would say to Captain Kirk: "Go ahead... Ge 'eer a Trrrry now!!"

- Sherm Warped-Out Natman
I adore Presbyterian that's why I have been trying to explore more Oriental less Latakia mixtures in general and I have heard good things about London and Durbar hence the quest for readily available clones.

I love the mustiness of Presby I know one of the sites sells a bulk clone of Presby but you have to mix it yourself. Been thinking it would be interesting to try and blend it without Latakia entirely and see if I can isolate whatever that musty Oriental is.

Great stuff...