PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterPipersPizza

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2021
Fresno, CA
Greetings all! Sorry to inform you that I have fouled up my two prized County Sandblasted Dunhills. I followed the instructions and put on the Dunhill Pipe Bowl Polish with my finger, left it on for a few minutes. I tried rubbing it off but couldn't get the smell out. So I put them briefly under a heat gun and then used a toothbrush... still I can't get this smell out. And I think the heat gun might have made it worse.

I think the problem is that I opened a new bottle of this stuff and instead of just using the paste I got a mix of liquid (surrounding the paste) with it too. I think this liquid has absorbed into the wood and is causing the diesel / petroleum smell. Perhaps the heating of the wood expanded it and let this seep even deeper in.

I'm pretty bummed. I left it over night and it is no better. Strangely my non-sandblasted and sandblasted Vauen came out fine with vigorous scrubbing with cloth and toothbrush, but then again I did not subject them to the heat gun AND I had more paste/ less liquid applied.

Does anyone have any suggestions ? I keep going over the bowls with a toothbrush to try and get all the polish from the crags. It looks like I got all the polish on both pipes, but the smell on the outside of the bowls remains.

Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to get this diesel smell out from the bowls? Thank you for your time and wisdom. And I don't recommend the Dunhill Pipe Bowl Polish after this experience.

PeterPipersPizza

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2021
Fresno, CA
I tried rinsing the outside of the bowl with hot water for a min. and scrubbed with a tooth brush. Still smells.

I am now smoking it. The heat makes the outside smell even more pronounced. Maybe I can kill this diesel odor over time just through normal smoking. But what a bummer.

I will keep yall updated. And again, caution using Dunhill Pipe Bowl Polish.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
If all else fails…You might just have to let you pipe smoking overwhelm the stinky Dunhill bowl. Grab a strong burley or English, whichever you prefer, and start puffing that stink out. ?☕

Reactions: jpmcwjr

PeterPipersPizza

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2021
Fresno, CA
I didnt put any paste into the chamber so I will not flush the chamber with water. As for detergent and water on the outside... I may try that in a month if this smell does not go away naturally on its own. It's only been 48 hrs. And Im not sure if the hot water rinse on the outside helped. but the smell seems a little weaker.

WIll keep yall updated. Im smoking out of it now. I will purge this evil with the internal fire.... for now.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Maybe try some Murphy's Oil Soap on the outside of the bowl. You'll have to dilute it with water. That might remove some of the Dunhill wax.
When my wife starts usinh the Murpheys stuff on the furniture, I just stay out of the livingroom till it has dissipated. Awful smell. I can’t imagine it on a pipe.

I don’t know what this Dunhill pipe stuff is, but it kinda sounds like a microcrystalline wax. If this is a textured pipe, like a blast or rusticated surface, you might want to hit it with a brush, like a shoe polishing brush, but maybe a new one without any polish on it. A microcrystalline wax should dissipate quickly. But, maybe you got some in some texture. If this is a smooth pipe, then I have no idea. I would chuck it in the garbage.

Reactions: BROBS and dcon

PeterPipersPizza

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2021
Fresno, CA
I don’t know what this Dunhill pipe stuff is, but it kinda sounds like a microcrystalline wax. If this is a textured pipe, like a blast or rusticated surface, you might want to hit it with a brush, like a shoe polishing brush, but maybe a new one without any polish on it. A microcrystalline wax should dissipate quickly. But, maybe you got some in some texture. If this is a smooth pipe, then I have no idea. I would chuck it in the garbage.

It is a rusticated pipe. I went over it with a toothbrush numerous times.

I cannot find the ingredients to the Dunhill Pipe Bowl Polish for the life of me. I looked all over the net. I would caution anyone using it.

I think I can burn up this smell using the power of a smoldering cherry and time. But we will see...

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
When my wife starts usinh the Murpheys stuff on the furniture, I just stay out of the livingroom till it has dissipated. Awful smell. I can’t imagine it on a pipe.

I've used Murphy's Oil Soap on estate pipes to clean up the outside with no ill effects or odor. It removes grime well. I make sure to dilute it according to the directions. It would be worth a try for the original poster before chucking his pipes.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Jun 23, 2019
Give salt and Everclear a go, if you can get the ghost out that should do the trick.

EDIT: 24-48 hour soak should do. Plug the stem side with pipe cleaner + plastic wrap.

Reactions: Streeper541

Ag®o

Lifer
Nov 14, 2021
Italy
I think the problem is that I opened a new bottle of this stuff and instead of just using the paste I got a mix of liquid (surrounding the paste) with it too. I think this liquid has absorbed into the wood and is causing the diesel / petroleum smell.
Read in this way it seems the smell of Iosso polish, which contains hydrocarbons, acetates, ammonia.
Dunhill, however, is described as a briar cleaning wax, which is unacceptable if it contains only one of those substances.

• Sad
Reactions: PeterPipersPizza
Status
Not open for further replies.