PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RandyP

Lurker
Oct 30, 2023
So, I have this Dunhill pipe. I have 6 other estate pipes, all different makers and it's been taking me weeks to figure out the type of pipe it is, the origin, etc., but I have those all pretty much nailed down. But , I now see that the Dunhill world is complex. It seems that the name Dunhill is for pipes like the Leica name is to cameras... and the older the better. I saw one broken Dunhill tanshell Briar go for $190 on eBay. Why?

Dunhill, unlike other many other pipe makers, stamps their pipe with a code, where one can decipher the year, etc., which is very cool. It's still a little crytpic, and I've found misleading info on the web. If any Dunhill experts would like to take a look here at a few of my pics, and see if I am accurate when I state that this looks to be a Dunhill Root Briar 53 (not sure what 53 means), but there is a 4 after the stamped "England", and that means it was manufactured in the 60's (?). The 3 refers to the bowl size and the R refers to Root Briar. It is a smooth Bent Billiard. How'd I do?

Attachments

• _MG_0022.jpg
    _MG_0022.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 12
  • _MG_0025.jpg
    _MG_0025.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4732.jpg
    IMG_4732.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 12

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Dunhill is considered well engineered pipe with prestige. Not sure why. But it has gained certain attraction from number of pipe smokers. As you indicated, it's easier to decipher dates of Dunhill rather easily. Having said that I only smoke Peterson. Dunhill fans will jump on the thread sooner than later.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
As a point of reference bent billiards are popular with collectors, but generally speaking the bigger the more desirable/expensive they become. The 53 is at the lowest end of the scale, followed by the 56, 120, and LC. Of the four the first three are pretty common and the 120 the largest and most highly prized (expensive). The LC is a bit of a white whale in every sense; it is much larger and a good specimen will be worth a multiple of a 120. Maybe one LC pops up each year or two, and more often than not when they do there are transparent issues.

Reactions: Bbailey324

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
As a point of reference bent billiards are popular with collectors, but generally speaking the bigger the more desirable/expensive they become. The 53 is at the lowest end of the scale, followed by the 56, 120, and LC.
I did not know this, thanks for sharing that size reference.

RandyP

Lurker
Oct 30, 2023
No need to piece together basic information via slow and awkward Q&A with the general public, where anybody can say anything...

Better is curated information all in one place with no back-and-forth required:

53= Bent Billiard

3(in a circle) = Group 3

4= 1960+4=1964

You have a 1964, 53- Bent Billiard, Group 3, Root Briar
Thank you, that is also what I was able to piece together. Good to know.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG