PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

EA/DC

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2023
the Netherlands
At the moment I am cleaning an old Dunhill root briar pipe. A 314 F/T 'prince' from 1965 that I recently found on the internet.
When looking at it close up I noticed a star that I have never seen before on an Dunhill pipe. It is not like the ' DR star ' and not like the star on my W60 whangee...

20230812_111451.jpg

I can't find anything about it on the internet. Is there someone here that has seen this type of star before and maybe knows why it is there?

Reactions: Honkytonk Man

EA/DC

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2023
the Netherlands
Thank you! I knew that page but did not notice that picture with the 8 point star before.
I saw that page before when I was looking for the unknown 'N' like at the picture next to it. I have several pipes with the N...
I see that the pipe with 8 point star, shown in the picture, is also from 1965.

EA/DC

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2023
the Netherlands
It's an asterisk. Not enough folks with cell phones knew what an asterisk is, so many people refer to it as a star.

It's a marking that whoever did that knows, and presumably the first purchaser only.

Yes, that is correct. The star on my W60 is a true star. Older DR pipes can have a star, later ones an asterisk (5 points) as far as I know. What is shown here is an 8 point asterisk.

I think the first purchaser had no idea, just like me now, and Dunhill pipemakers/salesman possibly did at the time.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks, but, to me, any * with five or more spokes is still an asterisk.

Or is there a convention that says differently? Can you show the star on one of you pipes?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Once upon a time every city had several---some had many---experience spaces where thems and theys could embark upon an Acquisition Journey which culminated in taking possession of pipes and tobacco in exchange for sheets of toughened and specially marked paper. (sounds crazy, I know, but it really happened that way)

Many of those experience spaces had workshops in the back.

SGOMAI (Swanky Gentlemen of Means and Influence) who enjoyed marking their territory in the world as a general thing and personal possessions in particular, would sometimes request that the workshop attached to their favorite pipe acquisition experience space obtain and hold in reserve a special stamp just for them. The highest leg-lifters would use their entire name as their mark, while the more secret-knowledge-y-minded ones used symbols.

There was also the occasional middle ground where shops marked their own merch for reasons lost to history.

Having examined and handled many thousands of Dunhills for a long-ass time, I'd say the splat mark is either one or the other.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Aha! Clearly a star in the top pipe, and the second one looks like a star but can't tell. Anyway, have learned something today which I may never have use for in the future.
*yours in education* - which was/is a way to bold characters on usenet.

Reactions: EA/DC

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There is a picture of a Dunhill with an asterisk like yours under the section titled “Unknown Stamps”:

Interesting that there were so many "after factory" stampings.
I'm not entirely convinced that all of these are "after factory" markings, but who knows? Even the "experts" don't really know. When I was getting into Dunhills 50+ years ago the little square stamp was taken to be a factory stamp indicating a slightly higher quality than usual for that particular level. This came from Dunhill dealers I bought from at that time. Now Dunhill's quoted exec says they can't find any evidence and doubt it is factory connected. Odd, considering there were more examples at the time floating around than would seem likely for a single private aftermarket stamp, and if that was the case, how come a number of different Dunhill dealers had the same explanation for it, all of them indicating a factory origin?
Just pick out a meaning that works for you. I've heard that the asterisk indicated a factory warranty repair, like a re-stem, that would not be repeated. Who knows? Dunhill doesn't. I don't. So make one up. You'll be in excellent company.

EA/DC

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2023
the Netherlands
Hallo bro,

The star ( not asterisk ) on the first Dunhill ( with the wanghee stem ) strongly reminds me of the star stamped on pipes sold by the Paris Dunhill shop.

That could very well be, I bought it from an ebay seller in France. I have two more pipes with that same star but don't remember where they came from.

EA/DC

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2023
the Netherlands
Aha! Clearly a star in the top pipe, and the second one looks like a star but can't tell. Anyway, have learned something today which I may never have use for in the future.
*yours in education* - which was/is a way to bold characters on usenet.
I am learning here every day ;) The second pipe is a DR **, with 2x asterisk. Just there to show the difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Honkytonk Man
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I known because I bought quite some Dunnies from French sellers. Stars all look similar.
We would much like to see pictures from your Dunhill collection.
In my "collection" is a cased DR h graded 1953 patent set in original case.
They are a little rough, but the original finish is intact.

EA/DC

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2023
the Netherlands
In my "collection" is a cased DR h graded 1953 patent set in original case.
They are a little rough, but the original finish is intact.

I have seen it here somewhere. Nice!
Closest to the 'h' that I have here is an old and very well used DR F from '63.
It is shown in the "Showoff your Dunhill pipes here" thread. Bought it in France aswell but no 'Paris star' on it. ;)
In that thread I have shown one Dunhill pipe from my (humble) collection every month since I have subscibed here on this great site in March this year. I will post another one today or tomorrow and can do so for the next 28 months... :)

Last edited: