PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA
I wasn’t quite sure what I was getting when I bought this lot of pipes on eBay because they weren’t well presented, but the one that caught my eye was a Kaywoodie Super Grain, as I noticed the clover inlaid on the stem and remembered reading at some point that these were older and a bit rare. Now that I have them in hand and have had chance to take a closer look and do some research, I think I might have hit the jackpot. I’ll show you what I got in the lot, and you let me know what you think.

First off, a few general observations. All of these pipes are in great shape, especially since they are all from the 1930s. Minimal carbon in the chambers, just a bit of chatter on the stems and almost no oxidation. The pictures below are as they arrived.

IMG_0414.jpeg

Let’s start with the Kaywoodie Super Grain since I mentioned it earlier. A small billiard with beautiful straight grain all around the bowl. White inlaid clover on the left side of the pipe with KAYWOODIE over SUPER GRAIN. The bottom is marked SYNCHROSYSTEM over PAT.APP.FOR. Right side says AGED BRUYERE over the shape number, 5127. The stem has a four-hole stinger that is marked with DRINKLESS over REG. NO. 213598. My guess is 1931-32.

IMG_0419.jpeg

There are two pipes in the lot with beautiful grain, but with minimal markings. They both simply say STRAIGHT GRAIN on the left side and a shape number on the right, both having push bit stems. The shape numbers match Kaywoodie catalogs from the the 1930s, an 06 Slim Dublin and a 93 President. So they seem to be produced by Kaywoodie, but I’m puzzled by the lack of nomenclature. The grain on these is certainly not that of seconds. In fact the highest grade of Kaywoodie in 1936 was Straight Grain. I’d love to know if anyone had some insight here.

IMG_0421.jpeg
IMG_0422.jpeg
The real stunner in the group might be Royal Comoys pot. Remarkable grain and in fantastic condition. The nomenclature on the left side reads ROYAL over COMOYS and the right side is marked with a circle, MADE on top, IN in the middle, and ENGLAND on bottom; U.S. PAT. over 2001612; and the shape number 126. The bottom is marked *2. The stem was turned in the pictures on eBay, so I wasn’t sure if this was an original stem or a replacement, so I was thrilled to see the three-piece C when I took the pipe out of the box. The stinger is a little strange, having some sort of rubber gasket at the end closest to the bowl. Rebornpipes noted that Royal Comoy originally appeared as the absolute top-of-the-line Comoy in the late 1930s, the Blue Riband before Blue Riband was a thing.

IMG_0417.jpeg
IMG_0413.jpeg

The final four pipes round out the lot:
  • a beautiful Bulldog marked Grain de Luxe, ALGERIAN BRUYERE with a triangular shaped shank and stem,
  • an 8-sided paneled prince, shape 57, marked DEVONSHIRE, a Kaywoodie sub-brand, with a bright red clover inlaid on the top of the push bit stem,
  • a Frank MEDICO billiard with an inlaid F on the stem and marked PAT. 1919959 over JULY25, 1933 on the right side of the shank,
  • and a square-paneled prince simply marked APS, GENUINE BRIAR.
IMG_0416.jpeg
IMG_0426.jpeg
IMG_0423.jpeg
IMG_0425.jpeg
I’m pretty pumped about this lot of pipes. Let me know what you think. Some of you collectors and experts might have more to add about what I’ve got. My knowledge only goes as far as what I might find on Pipedia and Pipephil. I’d love to get your feedback and to learn more.

Attachments

• IMG_0419.jpeg
    IMG_0419.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 4

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA
Man, that's a great find!! Whenever I get on ebay I only find the estate lots that were smoked to hell and back with teeth chatter from a great white. I must be doing something wrong 😕
That’s how most of the lots on eBay are. I usually look for lots of pipes that are poorly pictured and not well described. I don’t buy many pipes on eBay because I’m cheap and these lots are so rare. I got lucky on this one to spot the white clover on the shank, and also that the seller had the stem on the Comoys upside down with the C out of sight.

I’ll share a lot that I bought earlier in 2023 once I get the Dunhill Tanshell back from @georged.

I enjoy the hunt almost as much as the score, even if the search is almost always fruitless.