Edward G. Robinson Pipe Blend Launched (1946)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jim,

I was reading your interview with Eddie Huffman in 2015 and wanted to ask why it was such a short piece?

That was all the room they give Eddie for those segments.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob and GCW

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Hilarious!

I just have to put in a brief plug for one of my favourites - The Whole Town's Talking (1935). Not only does it have Jean Arthur, it's a rare comedy for Robinson, who didn't always get to show that side of his range.
I agree. Try watching I Am The Law. It's kind of like a spoof of crime movies, and there's a few humorous moments with Robinson and his pipe smoking.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I guess it is nice to dig up old news now and again. I started smoking when I was 17 in 1964. Seems like I heard about EGR but don't think I ever saw a tin or pouch of it. Didn't start pipe smoking until the mid 1970s.

Western Isles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Tennessee
I will stop diverting the thread after this post, but I wanted to pass on the surprising news that both classic films are available on YouTube.

I am the Law (1938):

The Whole Town's Talking (1935):

Got my black & white fix in, now back to your regular scheduled programming!

Reactions: JimInks

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I was thirteen when I started pipe smoking. At the time, the various drug and grocery stores had at least 50 blends available for purchase. But, EGR was not one of them or I'd have been smoking it in the 1970s.

Yeah, there's been over 300 people who thought I was my avatar. At least 25 people actually thought I am Edward G. Robinson. A few of my favorite comments are:
1) "You don't look like you did in the movies".
2) "You look great for a man your age. My grand dad used to watch your movies when he was a kid".
3) One guy said, "You look better than you did in the movies". The fella next to him said, "I always watch your movies on Turner Classics".
4) "You look like him, but you don't sound like him".
5) "You must have gotten tired of making movies. I wish you make another one".
What was Barbara Stanwyck really like?

Reactions: JimInks

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Sat and watched Our Vines Have Tender Grapes when it was on TCM the other day - if Margaret O’Brien doesn’t bring a tear to your eye a couple of times check and see if you have a pulse, lol.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Jim was also responsible for getting the War Horse Bar correct since he smoked every damned year of the original War Horse from the 50s to the 1970s without dying of nicotine poisoning. I think Dan (Woods Road) tested all the original John Cottons and Bengal Slices out on Jim as well if my memory serves me correctly.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jim was also responsible for getting the War Horse Bar correct since he smoked every damned year of the original War Horse from the 50s to the 1970s without dying of nicotine poisoning. I think Dan (Woods Road) tested all the original John Cottons and Bengal Slices out on Jim as well if my memory serves me correctly.
Your memory is correct, my friend. Merry Christmas!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
$2.50 a lb? Sign me up!!!!
My trusty inflation calculator reveals that $2.50 a pound in 1946, would amount to $35.63 a pound in present dollars.

What made the blend cheaper then (and not ridiculously less than a match blend today) was I think higher demand allowed for a lower margin, and lower wages.

The minimum wage on 1946 was 40 cents an hour, which is only $5.70 today.

The average income was $2,600 a year. A new house was $5,000, a new car (if you could find one) was $1,500.

Prince Albert was the king of drugstore tobaccos, at 15 cents for two ounces. I’d imagine a full pound can was less per ounce.

Edward G Robinson was some fancy, high priced stuff by comparison, at just over 15 cents an ounce by the pound.

It’s amazing it’s still around.

Last edited:

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I don't have any birth year pipes, but not everyone gets a famous birth year tobacco, so thanks to jiminks for that.
@mso489,
I hope your birth year tobacco was tastier than a few bottles of birth year wines I found. Sad to say my birth year was NOT a good vintage for wine anywhere.

However, this year I will be celebrating a significant birthday ?.
I have unopened bottles of birth year rum, Armagnac and cognac which I've earmarked for the festivities. Hopefully they will be still be enjoyable

Reactions: jpmcwjr