PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

boulders1489

Lurker
Feb 29, 2024
Smoking a bowl of this currently and have been researching the blend. Some of the more negative reviews talk about the being too much PG in the mix. I'm getting a funny numbness on my tongue from this one. It's not tongue bite, but wondering what this strange sensation is.

Eric

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Looking at their description, there’s an lot of different varietals in that blend so maybe something isn’t agreeing with you.

I know I tried a blend with white burley in it once and my tongue was not happy about it. I have kind of stayed away from many burley blends because of it.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Straight burley can make my tongue a little chalky sometimes. The more of it I smoke, the less I notice it, and I primarily smoke burley. It never bothered me enough to make me switch to different tobacco types. Some people say it's the alkalinity of the leaf, but I'm not sure about that.

Reactions: anotherbob
I wouldn't just assume PG is what C&D uses, because they are sort of known for their lack of (or very limited use of) casings and such. I would be surprised if they used PG on a limited release. There just isn't any need of it.

But, there are haters of C&D that will say just about anything to drum up a troll's response for them. I have no idea what motivates these people.

However, PG is an ongoing pipe tobacco myth. It is a common additive that is tasteless with no effects that you speak of. My guess is that some tobaccos just tax people's palate, and they go looking for a reason other than "that blend just doesn't agree with them." There are so many other variables. If you find one that does have an ill affect on your palate, just avoid it in the future. Looking for a reason could drive you nuts.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I spoke with someone that works there and they don't use it.
I think they do use PG in some of their aromatics. However, there is almost certainly no PG in Eight State Burley. C&D tends to just use distilled water for moisture. Pretty much all of their non-aromatics forgo the use of PG, including their flakes.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I spoke with someone that works there and they don't use it.
I think they do use PG in some of their aromatics. However, there is almost certainly no PG in Eight State Burley. C&D tends to just use distilled water for moisture. Pretty much all of their non-aromatics forgo the use of PG, including their flakes.
Thank you for calling out a blatant and obvious liar that works for the company, not like they would fess up to it or anything, or worry about lawsuits for giving false information about what's in their tobacco. Kudos! lol

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Thank you for calling out a blatant and obvious liar that works for the company, not like they would fess up to it or anything, or worry about lawsuits for giving false information about what's in their tobacco. Kudos! lol
Well, they have presented "new" blends at pipe shows that turned out to be renamed established ones. They're Green River Vanilla will not dry out after months of exposure to open air so something is going on.

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
The ambiguousness of this could be interpreted as I work for the company or am a liar, or both. Or were you thanking me?

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
The ambiguousness of this could be interpreted as I work for the company or am a liar, or both. Or were you thanking me?
I trust no one. If you know they have PG or have used it that's a good thing. Hell Crystal Springs sent me an email yesterday saying my water was delivered and charged me $44 .. yet no deliver was made.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Regardless of what he meant, PG is 100% used in their aromatics despite what their rep said on the phone. Maybe there was some confusion because they do indeed have many non-aromatic blends that don't use PG. They're one of the only 'boutique' pipe tobacco blenders to release certain blends with no PG.

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
I don’t know who he got his info from, but they do use a small amount of PG. you can find this out by a simple email to C&D directly. they are very transparent.

That said, when is eight state coming back?? I need more!

Reactions: Oddball

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
I trust no one. If you know they have PG or have used it that's a good thing. Hell Crystal Springs sent me an email yesterday saying my water was delivered and charged me $44 .. yet no deliver was made.
You didn't answer my question and I didn't ask if you trusted anyone.

Well I have reached back out to them to ask for clarity. I didn't intentionally mislead anyone. I could have gotten what I was told mixed up. The result of this is below.

They do use a 'small amount' of PG. I didn't ask how much, I assume all blenders do.

What I was referring too was whatever is put in the desired flakes that some EU producers sell, has other binding agents. Those are C&D do NOT use. That's why C&D flakes are more broken I reckon.

Apologies for any confusion.

That being said, I can do without the passive aggressive comment, especially after the lack of commitment in this reply.

Call me a liar if you want but own up to it . That I don't mind.

Also I don't work for them.

puffy

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
You didn't answer my question and I didn't ask if you trusted anyone.

Well I have reached back out to them to ask for clarity. I didn't intentionally mislead anyone. I could have gotten what I was told mixed up. The result of this is below.

They do use a 'small amount' of PG. I didn't ask how much, I assume all blenders do.

What I was referring too was whatever is put in the desired flakes that some EU producers sell, has other binding agents. Those are C&D do NOT use. That's why C&D flakes are more broken I reckon.

Apologies for any confusion.

That being said, I can do without the passive aggressive comment, especially after the lack of commitment in this reply.

Call me a liar if you want but own up to it . That I don't mind.

Also I don't work for them.

puffy
I'm not even sure why you are still going on but have fun with that.

• Wow
Reactions: badbriar

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
I'm not even sure why you are still going on but have fun with that.
Well I thought it was prudent to follow up with the issue so folks that I confused could have a better view of my view of the situation I commented on.

So now you know. It was fun!

PG is 100% used in their aromatics despite what their rep said on the phone.
How do you know this? Have you had a lab analysis done?
I don't mean to sound like an asshole, but your comment is worded so dogmatically certain. Just because a blend is hard to dry doesn't mean that this one chemical is used. FVF takes a heat driven blower for days to dry out, and we are all certain that it is not PG doing that. Some sugars naturally take a long time to dry, and aromatics are loaded in them. I think that a blend taking time to dry is not 100% scientific, IMO.
Now, that said, I don't know anymore than anyone else on this forum what is and is not used on a blend, especially a chemical designed to never be tasted. Check the labels on your food. PG is in about everything. Why do people tend to obsess more about PG than anything else that could be put into your tobaccos?
Now, do I believe everything a company comes on here and says, absolutely not. But, of all of the blends made by C&D, I don't think that this one has the inert, harmless chemical known in the streets as PG.

I've been on here for quite a while, and I have noticed that Just putting PG in thread titles seems to bring out the crazy in pipesmokers. Ha ha.

bpinkstaff

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2024
Rockton, il
I wouldn't just assume PG is what C&D uses, because they are sort of known for their lack of (or very limited use of) casings and such. I would be surprised if they used PG on a limited release. There just isn't any need of it.

But, there are haters of C&D that will say just about anything to drum up a troll's response for them. I have no idea what motivates these people.

However, PG is an ongoing pipe tobacco myth. It is a common additive that is tasteless with no effects that you speak of. My guess is that some tobaccos just tax people's palate, and they go looking for a reason other than "that blend just doesn't agree with them." There are so many other variables. If you find one that does have an ill affect on your palate, just avoid it in the future. Looking for a reason could drive you nuts.
Great information Thank you!