PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I loaded up the dark one (I think it's a Liverpool shape) with some Haunted Bookshop tonight and had a very pleasant, cool, dry smoke. The chamber is a bit narrow, so I got about half an hour out of the bowl. Pretty happy with how this pipe performed.
"The Dark One" is a pretty cool name for that pipe, come to think of it. It sounds ominous, like an evil wizard or something. Yeah, I'm a nerd.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I believe these simpletons were made out of the factory of Raoul Amiel near Philippeville in Algeria. He was French and trained locals to make pipes in his Algerian facility. Little in the way of machinery. It's amazing that there were so many found unsmoked. Definitely utilitarian, but why not for the right price?
Interesting, where did you find info on them?
They are fairly crude pipes by today's standards - I wouldn't be surprised if they were made mostly with hand tools. The bowl chamber and airway drilling seems to be straight and good to go, however.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Interesting, where did you find info on them?
They are fairly crude pipes by today's standards - I wouldn't be surprised if they were made mostly with hand tools. The bowl chamber and airway drilling seems to be straight and good to go, however.

I put two and two together. I read somewhere that these pipes were likely made near Philippeville in Algeria. I read somewhere else that Raoul Amiel of France (whose family was involved in pipe making on Continental Europe) had a factory there. The period of time Raoul Amiel and family were active coincides with when these pipes were likely made. Not 100% certain, but close ;)

I should add that I purchased a few of these myself months ago. That got me taking a deep dive into the pipes origins.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I was forty years old when I went on vacation to Canada and smoked my first, unquestionably genuine Havana cigar.

Don’t try to convince me, that except for the 1962 embargo there would have never been a Nicaraguan and Honduran cigar industry. Havana cigars are the absolute best, and were famous for a reason.

Anybody who thinks genuine Algerian briar isn’t the best smoking briar in the world ought to buy one of these ugly little pipes.

No wonder the best smoking pipes in the world were made from Algerian briar.

You have to smoke one to realize it.

NCHARLEYRIDER

Lurker
Jul 3, 2020
Four Oaks, North Carolina
In the last month or so I’ve gotten incensed over Algerian briar pipes, and bought a bunch of em’ for $15, $20, even $25 for a fancy one.

Imagine my glee to score three unsmoked El Morjane pipes for only $30. I’ve never heard of the brand, but brand new ten dollar Algerian pipes ought to sell out quick.

Anybody ever heard of these?

View attachment 203371
Do you know about RnATreasures? They have a sell of 12 random aged Algerian briar pipes for $25. I have several of their pipes and they look and smoke great. Pretty good deal 12 pipes for $25 and they are Algerian briar.

Reactions: NC TX ID pipeman

NCHARLEYRIDER

Lurker
Jul 3, 2020
Four Oaks, North Carolina
I found out from a friend here tonight these pipes are from a stash made up about fifty years ago.

When they are gone, there won’t be any more.

View attachment 207428

I have four now, and that’s plenty.

They run small. My guess is the People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria made an attempt to operate the left over factories from before the revolution to make tourist trinkets to peddle to visitors to El Kala.

I can’t imagine too many wives have ever put up a howl to go vacation wearing a bedsheet in beautiful El Kala in the People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria, but Wikipedia says it’s a tourist attraction for people inside and out of Algeria.:)
They have 12 for $25 right now.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
In the last month or so I’ve gotten incensed over Algerian briar pipes, and bought a bunch of em’ for $15, $20, even $25 for a fancy one.

Imagine my glee to score three unsmoked El Morjane pipes for only $30. I’ve never heard of the brand, but brand new ten dollar Algerian pipes ought to sell out quick.

Anybody ever heard of these?

View attachment 203371

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

kilroyjune6

Might Stick Around
Dec 25, 2016
My first briar was an El Morjane. I ended up getting a few more. I haven't smoked any of them in a while, but they always smoked good. I should dust them off.

Reactions: Briar Lee

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
There was a guy at Chicago pipe show RNA treasures(nice guy,his dad used to own tobacco shop for decades so he inherited all his inventory) and he was giving those el morjane pipes away in a small gift packs for free..I got me one ..it is not really bad at all..no fills drilled straight passes cleaner...I did not smoked it yet but about ready to...