PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Neil68

Lurker
Dec 26, 2023
Latham, NY
Good morning all
My kids bought me an Vivohome electric humidor model BCG-08A for Christmas. This is my first electric one by the way. I plugged it in, put distilled water in the reservoir and set the temp to 70 and when I woke up the humidity was at 81%. So I turned it down to 54 and the humidity hasn’t dropped. Will the humidity eventually drop when it becomes seasoned? Or am I missing something. I can’t find any answers on the interweb. Has anyone had this issue?

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
Not familiar with your particular model, but I have an Audew 300 count, so sort of the same girl, just a different dress. Honestly, don't worry about the humidity the first 14 days. You're going to need at least that amount of time for the shelves and trays to season. Don't put any cigars in it for that first 14 days. It's recommended by everyone I know that has one, that prior to even trying to season, that you wipe the inside down with white vinegar (just the plastic parts) and then let dry overnight. Then wipe the shelves and trays down with distilled water 2 to 3 times, allowing the color of the wood to return before wiping again. Then, put the shelves and trays back in the humidor. Put a glass or plastic bowl of distilled water and close the door. Leave it for at least 10 days. Then plug it in, check your humidity and temp readings.

At this point in time you want to watch for stable humidity, not a specific humidity. You want to see it stay at say 75% for three days in a row, without the internal humidifier adding anything. Once it is stable, then you can add your sticks, fill the internal humidifier and set your humidity and temp settings.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Whatever cedar wood there is in the humidor has limited buffering capacity for humidity. You will get stable, adjustable humidity readings once your cigars are inside. You humidor is already "seasoned", the maximum humidity capacity of the cedar having been reached and the excess now reaching your humidity sensor.

For comparison try adjusting the humidity inside an empty plastic container. It fluctuates wildly based largely on temperature as there is nothing inside to absorb (buffer) the humidity.

Neil68

Lurker
Dec 26, 2023
Latham, NY
Not familiar with your particular model, but I have an Audew 300 count, so sort of the same girl, just a different dress. Honestly, don't worry about the humidity the first 14 days. You're going to need at least that amount of time for the shelves and trays to season. Don't put any cigars in it for that first 14 days. It's recommended by everyone I know that has one, that prior to even trying to season, that you wipe the inside down with white vinegar (just the plastic parts) and then let dry overnight. Then wipe the shelves and trays down with distilled water 2 to 3 times, allowing the color of the wood to return before wiping again. Then, put the shelves and trays back in the humidor. Put a glass or plastic bowl of distilled water and close the door. Leave it for at least 10 days. Then plug it in, check your humidity and temp readings.

At this point in time you want to watch for stable humidity, not a specific humidity. You want to see it stay at say 75% for three days in a row, without the internal humidifier adding anything. Once it is stable, then you can add your sticks, fill the internal humidifier and set your humidity and temp settings.
Well I didn’t clean it before I plugged it in. That wasn’t in the operating manual. Lol. But as of right know it’s at temp is set for 54. And the humidity is at 88. So eventually it will drop to where it should be once the shelves have had a chance to “season”?
I know they say a 70/70 split is optimal but I am new to all this. I know that my box humidor and kept at 65% humidity.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I do not recommend unplugging the unit. It is far better sealed than traditional humidors and the electrical portion is temperature control and a much needed circulation fan only. All humidification needs to be controlled by you just as with a traditional humidor.

Don't rely on the unit's humidity reading without calibration.

I recommend getting some food grade propylene glycol in lieu of water. A 32oz bottle is $12.95 on amazon.

Give the unit time to stabilize both humidity and temperature.

The amount of glycol you will need to add will depend on how humid your cigars are when you first place them in the unit and then how often you are opening the door.

Traditional humidors require constant addition of a humidity source because the leak air so badly. You won't have that problem with this unit. I have a 300 count unit that, if I don't open the door very often, will hold humidity with a small tray for an incredible length of time.

Reactions: Neil68

Neil68

Lurker
Dec 26, 2023
Latham, NY
I do not recommend unplugging the unit. It is far better sealed than traditional humidors and the electrical portion is temperature control and a much needed circulation fan only. All humidification needs to be controlled by you just as with a traditional humidor.

Don't rely on the unit's humidity reading without calibration.

I recommend getting some food grade propylene glycol in lieu of water. A 32oz bottle is $12.95 on amazon.

Give the unit time to stabilize both humidity and temperature.

The amount of glycol you will need to add will depend on how humid your cigars are when you first place them in the unit and then how often you are opening the door.

Traditional humidors require constant addition of a humidity source because the leak air so badly. You won't have that problem with this unit. I have a 300 count unit that, if I don't open the door very often, will hold humidity with a small tray for an incredible length of time.
So do I just swap out the water for the propylene glycol when I get some? Will this need to be reseasoned when I switch?

Hdogg

Lurker
Dec 26, 2023
Good morning all
My kids bought me an Vivohome electric humidor model BCG-08A for Christmas. This is my first electric one by the way. I plugged it in, put distilled water in the reservoir and set the temp to 70 and when I woke up the humidity was at 81%. So I turned it down to 54 and the humidity hasn’t dropped. Will the humidity eventually drop when it becomes seasoned? Or am I missing something. I can’t find any answers on the interweb. Has anyone had this issue?
My wife got me the same one. I’ve been having the exact same issue. Keep me posted on how you correct it and I’ll do the same

Homer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2020
Finland
I like Bovedas. They don’t smell like beads ( I had those previously).
My 3 humidors are full of Cuban cigars.

• Wow

Neil68

Lurker
Dec 26, 2023
Latham, NY
Yes. Simply pour the PG in the tray and that is all.

No. The PG and water do the exact same thing. The PG simply does a better job.
And eventually the humidity will even out?
And thank you for the info.
I like Bovedas. They don’t smell like beads ( I had those previously).
My 3 humidors are full of Cuban cigars.
how long does a bag last for. And that is awesome

Homer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2020
Finland
And eventually the humidity will even out?
And thank you for the info.

how long does a bag last for. And that is awesome
When the boveda gets too dry I put it in plastic container that has distilled water in the bottom. It takes aprox 1 week to recharge the boveda. I don’t soak the bag I just let it absorb moisture.
My large cabinet humidor has 4x320g bovedas in the winter. 3 bovedas are in the humidor and one is at my charging box:)

In summertime the humidity is much higher and I don’t need to do anything for 4-6 months.

I have tried different electronic humidifiers but they have broken down. Bovedas are much more reliable. This is just my experience.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Heartfelt beads and distilled water in this,
IMG_4165.jpeg
I don’t use the electric cooler as temp isn’t an issue. Fits 6-8 boxes and loose stogies. Goes months without water recharge, just monitor with a good gauge.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well I didn’t clean it before I plugged it in. That wasn’t in the operating manual. Lol. But as of right know it’s at temp is set for 54. And the humidity is at 88. So eventually it will drop to where it should be once the shelves have had a chance to “season”?
I know they say a 70/70 split is optimal but I am new to all this. I know that my box humidor and kept at 65% humidity.
I am confused by your setting a temperature and noting a very high humidity reading- they are closely related, and I'd try to normalize around 70º, or whatever temp you keep your house at.

Hdogg

Lurker
Dec 26, 2023
Good morning all
I figured it out since we have the same one. You have to hold the light button and the Fahrenheit/celcius (however it’s spelled) at the same time for about 3-5 seconds. The humidity will start blinking and you can then set the humidity and once that stops you can then set your temperature. You would think it would be in the directions. I tried contacting the company with no luck so I looked at a couple other models and how they did it. I hope this helps