PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I never like hearing about a B&M closing its doors. However, it must be difficult to make a living with a small B&M outfit when the competition is large retailers (e.g., Smoking Pipes, TobaccoPipes, etc.) that offer an immense selection, good prices, prompt shipping, and generous return policies. If When I find a B&M I usually go in, but invariably they don't have what I want, or the prices for stuff I might buy are pretty high; nonetheless, I try to purchase at least something.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Sad day, this was a great shop and good people. They will be missed. 😟

Glad I ordered a decent amount of Black Mariah awhile back.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jwesthurl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2022
St. Louis
I shouldn’t have waited to order the Telescopes and Black Maria blends. I meant to try them out. “He who hesitates is lost” (this fits better than the original, ”The woman that deliberates is lost.”)

I wonder if the new owners will offer the Dengler blends or if that becomes history.

If I remember correctly I think Larry told telescopes that he would share some of the formulas with him so he may be able to replicate it.

If it makes you feel any better, I made the mistake of not going back to stock up on my favorite blend from there, Country Kitchen. Now I have to make due with the half ounce I have left.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
The shop was a money maker. Larry was ready for retirement and I believe after his wife died, John's daughter, he was was ready to move on.

The shop will reopen in a few days under new management.

Yes, I do have a few of the recipes. My dad's and mine, ...

And who knows if I have another.

It is the ending of of an era. Dengler's was a legend in its on time.

telescopes

For what it is worth, here are a few of my families blends that were made by John Dengler. We have smoked them for over 40 years. They are tried and true.

Lazy Bones:

6 oz. Sutliff B23 Black Cherry
8 oz. Lane RLP-6 Gold Virginia and Toasted Cavendish
1 oz. Sutliff TS9 Maryland
1 oz Sutliff TS19 Turkish

This is a tried and true tobacco for smoking on the porch and building up some cake.

Telescopes

4 oz Lane BCA
1 oz Sutliff SPS-24 Nougat

Yes, it is simple, but the Nougat expands the taste notes of the BCA and adds another level of complexity.

So there you have. John Dengler is gone, but as long as I have a bowl to put my tobacco in, he will not be forgotten.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
For what it is worth, here are a few of my families blends that were made by John Dengler. We have smoked them for over 40 years. They are tried and true.

Lazy Bones:

6 oz. Sutliff B23 Black Cherry
8 oz. Lane RLP-6 Gold Virginia and Toasted Cavendish
1 oz. Sutliff TS9 Maryland
1 oz Sutliff TS19 Turkish

This is a tried and true tobacco for smoking on the porch and building up some cake.

Telescopes

4 oz Lane BCA
1 oz Sutliff SPS-24 Nougat

Yes, it is simple, but the Nougat expands the taste notes of the BCA and adds another level of complexity.

So there you have. John Dengler is gone, but as long as I have a bowl to put my tobacco in, he will not be forgotten.
I hadn’t heard of John Dengler’s until this thread but sounds (sounded?) awesome. Can you fill us in who aren’t in the know? And how are you connect to the shop/family? And will the new owners be changing things drastically?

telescopes

I hadn’t heard of John Dengler’s until this thread but sounds (sounded?) awesome. Can you fill us in who aren’t in the know? And how are you connect to the shop/family? And will the new owners be changing things drastically?
John Dengler's has been in business since 1917. They served the St. Louis/St. Charles area.

His business WAS the real thing. Walking into his shop on Main Street in St. Charles was time tripping to another time...Think Lewis and Clark. For those of you who are in the know, you understand I did not exaggerate nor was this hyperbole.

John Dengler was a man out of time from another time. What he knew about tobacco and what he knew about the business would simply make this forum irrelevant. But he was humble, happy, and always a joy to speak to. When he died, it was fortunate that his son-in-law, Larry, was able to continue the business.

John was well known by people in the business, but not so famous among smokers in general. He didn't try to be and wasn't interested in fame. He simply ran the most interesting pipe shop in America and he did it with authenticity. It was an honor to have been a customer of his for so many years.

I've seen many interesting pipe shops all around the country. Any who visited John Dengler will agree with me, when John ran the business, none compared.

I don't need anyone to agree or disagree. HIs legacy is all that it is needed.

jwesthurl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2022
St. Louis
The shop was a money maker. Larry was ready for retirement and I believe after his wife died, John's daughter, he was was ready to move on.

The shop will reopen in a few days under new management.

Yes, I do have a few of the recipes. My dad's and mine, ...

And who knows if I have another.

It is the ending of of an era. Dengler's was a legend in its on time.
It seemed pretty unclear from the few people I talked to but do you know if it will continue with same name, “menu”, etc. or are the new owners going to switch things up? One thing I always wished they did was offer tins for sale.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

telescopes

It seemed pretty unclear from the few people I talked to but do you know if it will continue with same name, “menu”, etc. or are the new owners going to switch things up? One thing I always wished they did was offer tins for sale.
Larry will be going in for a week or so to do some training so I am thinking some things will be the same. The name is the money - why change out a legend.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

jwesthurl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2022
St. Louis
Larry will be going in for a week or so to do some training so I am thinking some things will be the same. The name is the money - why change out a legend.
Ok that’s great to know that some of the history will carry on. That also makes me doubly happy for Larry that he gets to retire and the family legacy isn’t just gone. Thanks telescopes!