PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
Sometimes c&d—or smoking pipes—will get a particle of Latakia in my burley. I imagine a stray crumb of the stuff must’ve stuck to the scale or something. And I must say when it happens I think it’s interesting. I may start trying to add minuscule amounts, for a change of pace

Reactions: jon11

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I've been a fan of latakia since I first started smoking a pipe, many years ago. I do smoke VA flake and VA Per but only as a change of pace in a handful of dedicated pipes.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and jon11

Markem

Might Stick Around
Aug 4, 2022
Beaverton, OR
I’ve been wanting to try a Latakia for a while and was lucky enough to find some for sale here a week or so ago. So, today a package arrived and included Mac Baren’s Latakia Rolls, Limited Edition, from December, 2020.

I must say that this is an excellent tobacco. I find it nicely balanced and the molasses used as the leaf binder gives just a touch of sweetness on the back end. A really nice smoke that had some surprising complexity for being so full bodied.

My daily has been Arango Balkan Supreme for a while but this new-to-me Latakia will be in the daily mix as well. Probably going to have to get a pipe specifically for Latakia some time soon.

Mind you, AJL67 just tells me that I am some sort of mutant, so that could be it as well.

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
The lovely Latakia was the first flavor I could taste after fumbling and experiencing awful tongue bit for years with aromatics. I realize now I was smoking aromatics waaaay to hot and my mechanics were way off… **sizzle sizzle**.

Latakia was/is kinder and more gracious when smoked like a choo choo train. So I love latakia. The other day I smoked it straight for the first time and it was strong, but thoroughly enjoyed it and no tongue bite. So yeah, I am in love with latakia…please don’t tell my wife.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
For some reason my taste buds transitioned from Latakia to VaPers about ten years. Something has to pack a powerful wallop of Latakia for me to even notice it.

Reactions: jon11

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
I love Latakia. As I started pipe smoking last year the aro someone gave to me burnt my tongue badly. I bought some Mac Baren navy cut, which was way better and Capstan Blue, which was boring compared to the spicy experience of halfzware shags I used for rolling my own cigarettes for decades. As I tried the Peterson version of 965 I found the smoking experience to be the most satisfying because of the Latakia and orientals compared to my old spicy cigarettes. Still I like a Latakia blend once in the evening and some pure Latakia out of the tin to spice up some of the boring Virginias I tried later. Perique is also a nice way to have some satisfaction while smoking. I don’t know what some of you call a lat bomb. Maybe it would be the Kieler Förde from Tom Darasz in Kiel, 50 percentage Latakia with burley and some orient. It’s a mild almost sweet smoke with not to much nicotine. I like it a lot, maybe nothing for the whole day long.