PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
My tin simply states Ennerdale. It was flake but somewhat solidified into a chunk. Chopped a flake and lit it. I thought t was qute tasty. I commonly don't finish the bowl. Lit the same bowl again the following day. Stayed lit better. I liked it. Gonna keep it n the rotation. It did have flavor I can't put my finger on. Almond? Im not a good judge, but I liked it.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I got to smoke the mixture and I musy say I like it. To me it seems a tad, and I mean tad, more almondy....maybe. Most of it is basically flake, just not whole flakes. I did notice some sparkle on the flakes white jarring. I like this version better than the "flake" version but not because it's any different flavor wise, it's no any stronger. I like the cut, it's easier to work with.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I got to smoke the mixture and I musy say I like it. To me it seems a tad, and I mean tad, more almondy....maybe. Most of it is basically flake, just not whole flakes. I did notice some sparkle on the flakes white jarring. I like this version better than the "flake" version but not because it's any different flavor wise, it's no any stronger. I like the cut, it's easier to work with.
I honestly don’t know what almond tastes like, well you know, the impressions of almond, I eat a lot of almonds but don’t know what the “flavor” of almond is. I’m guessing it’s like grape candies taste nothing like actual grapes but we all agree to call that candy grape flavor?

Do you have any experience with the Flake that didn’t have much topping on it? Like I said before, it’s just as heavily topped as it was in 2016 when I first fell head over heals for the stuff. To me it’s such a unique combinations of flavors and scents that I can only describe it as floral or scented but I guess I don’t know what to look for when people describe it as almond flavor, are we talking candied almonds, like the roasted almonds you can buy around Christmas time?

Anyway, I’m glad to hear you enjoy the mixture. I find it delicious too. I don’t know why but I stopped smoking it for years until I saw the mixture hit the market, I wanted to compare its flavor strength to my memory of Ennerdale Flake and then I did a side by side comparison with my 2016 stash and to my palate, it tastes damn near identical.

Other good news is, the essential oils that they use don’t seem to fade over time, or at least they haven’t in 7 years… so far so good.

Reactions: edger

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I honestly don’t know what almond tastes like, well you know, the impressions of almond, I eat a lot of almonds but don’t know what the “flavor” of almond is. I’m guessing it’s like grape candies taste nothing like actual grapes but we all agree to call that candy grape flavor?

Do you have any experience with the Flake that didn’t have much topping on it? Like I said before, it’s just as heavily topped as it was in 2016 when I first fell head over heals for the stuff. To me it’s such a unique combinations of flavors and scents that I can only describe it as floral or scented but I guess I don’t know what to look for when people describe it as almond flavor, are we talking candied almonds, like the roasted almonds you can buy around Christmas time?

Anyway, I’m glad to hear you enjoy the mixture. I find it delicious too. I don’t know why but I stopped smoking it for years until I saw the mixture hit the market, I wanted to compare its flavor strength to my memory of Ennerdale Flake and then I did a side by side comparison with my 2016 stash and to my palate, it tastes damn near identical.

Other good news is, the essential oils that they use don’t seem to fade over time, or at least they haven’t in 7 years… so far so good.
When people refer to almond flavor, I assume that they mean marzipan.

I get a hint of something like that in Ennerdale, but personally I get the floral notes more strongly.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I purchased a 500g bag which I split with a chum in the U.K. The considered opinion and remember this is just an opinion is that we both think the leaf is different. A lot of this stuff is/was made from what was always described as 'Empire Grown'. That meant it was from Africa. I might be wrong but I get the feeling that the leaf has been sourced from Eastern Europe. Again I may be wrong but that's my two pence worth. LMMV