PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It has nothing to do with the pineapple on the tin, usually I think it tastes like apricots, I don't get how people think it tastes like juicy fruit gun either. I'm talking once or twice it's tasted like pineapple to me out of the many times I've smoked it. If it had come in an unmarked jar and I didn't know it was erinmore, it still would of tasted like pineapple

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah at first I didn't even really taste anything but tobacco, but after using the same pipe and smoking it a bunch I start to get the underlying flavours

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
It's still a rather nice flake whatever fruit folks detect in it. It's just the perpetuation of the pineapple myth that makes my teeth itch. Had Andy tasted banana or strawberry I would just have thought 'oh, how odd'.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Andy, have you tried Rattray's Wallace Flake? They claim that is flavoured with pineapple and some folks compare it to Erinmore Flake!
Perhaps worth a look when next blend shopping.
Regards,
Jay.

Rattray's Wallace Flake is identical to Petersons University Flake. Actually, Rattrays was under contract and something happened leaving them stuck with it to rename and rebrand the stuff as their own. It is a VaBur with a light plum topping, probably less pronounced than UF in flavor.

No pineapple at all.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Had to check tobacco reviews it's Malcolm flake you're referring to. I'm not actually after a pineapple flavoured tobacco. I also wonder if Malcolm flake has a similar smell to erinmore but because it actually says pineapple flavour people say ok it's pineapple. I've tried university flake but I think there's something in the topping that disagrees with me as it made my heart race, not like a nicotine punch, it was a strange feeling and I've heard of other people experiencing this sensation with certain toppings or whatever they use to flavour some tobaccos with

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
In Pipes & Cigars catalog they consider Erinmore Flake an aromatic. I always thought that was weird, too. Then, if that is aromatic, wouldn't Orlik Golden Slice and Peterson's University Flake also be aromatics? And anything with a light top note for that matter?
I've seen/heard University Flake called an aromatic numerous times. It does have that light topping which (apparently) "gets in the way of the pure tobacco taste".
It doesn't. But for quite a few people anything in the tin other than dried vegetable matter constitutes an aromatic.

Aromatic is a term used in the industry for any tobacco that is topped, not cased. The way other people refer to aromatics as goopy blends is just their own stereotypes.
I need to try me some of this Malcom Flake. Sounds interesting.

Andy, that is exactly what I love about UF and WF. Give me palpations. Much better than roller coasters... without having to leave the living room. Ha ha

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Maybe it is a nicotine kick then, I've just never experienced something like that from tobacco, I'll get dizzy and lightheaded but this feeling is something else, it's a rush

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I got my Wallace Flake the same day my University Flake arrived. Allegedly very similar blends but only three bowls in of each I would say WF is by far better than the UF it supposedly emulates. The topping on UF is very mild indeed whereas the topping on WF is almost non existent.
Regards,
Jay.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I did get a tin of the flake and am enjoying it quite a bit. After trying this flake I think I am going to try a few more flakes and even some virginians.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
YES, come the the "flakey" side!
Samuel Gawith flakes are great. In the tin, they are quite moist. Bulk packaging flakes are just right, though.

McClelland has a lot of great broken flake virginia offerings. Try Blackwoods Flake or St. James Woods.
There are some truly great flake tobaccos out there. I fully encourage your exploration!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I too have from time to time gotten pineapple, but also apricot. A lot of the Juicy Fruit as well. With the taste and room note, I would class it as a mild aro, and I love it.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
From 6 months ago "..then after awhile smoking it I started taking apricot, then sometimes I would get that soapy Irish topping flavor."
Andy, what did you mean by "soapy Irish topping", does it resemble Lakeland 'soap'?
Regards,
Jay.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Andy, what did you mean by "soapy Irish topping", does it resemble Lakeland 'soap'?

No it's different than lakeland, but similar in the same sense it's a like or hate thing. It's not quite floral tasting like lakelands, I don't think soapy is a good way to describe lakelands either, but it's a very distinct flavor is all I can describe. It's not every bowl either, it's only sometimes. I have the same experience with McClellend's Old world Cake, anyone that likes erinmore should really try that, it's a straight Va though, but a very similar type of topping. I also have almost worked through a tin that I baked, this is where I've been getting the pineapple taste from sometimes, but haven't gotten any of the distinct "irish topping" I mentioned smoking the unbaked stuff. For baking the tin if that's a question you're wondering, I put it on top of a slow cooker lid while a roast cooked for about 6 hours, then let it sit unopened for another 2 weeks or so, that wasn't planned, I just happened to let it sit that along until I felt like opening it. The result was very dark tobacco compared to how erimore usually is, and I guess the smell was a bit different too, but I haven't done a back to back comparison. In unbaked tins that are sealed the predominant flavor I get from the outside of the tin would be licorice, as I find all square tins I get tobacco smell from the sides where the seal is.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
McClellend's Old world Cake, anyone that likes erinmore should really try that
Thanks for the tip, I've added it to my growing shopping list. I like Erinmore and haven't noticed that one.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Perhaps an American slow cooker differs from a British one. Mine is a ceramic crock pot that sits inside an aluminium 'jacket' containing the element. The ceramic lid fits on the pot but in use only gets barely warm (the idea obviously is to keep the heat inside the crock pot)...certainly not hot enough to 'bake' a tobacco tin.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.