PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
I understand Esoterica is made for the export market by JF Germain. Are all the Esotericas new blends or are they just renamed versions of Germains? Is there a corresponding list saying which blends are the same?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I understand Esoterica is made for the export market by JF Germain. Are all the Esotericas new blends or are they just renamed versions of Germains? Is there a corresponding list saying which blends are the same?
All of the Esoterica blends started out as part of Germain's catalog of blends that they had created over the years for various private labels, like the blends that were made for Smokers' Haven.

Steve Richmann of Piedmont Tobacco approached Germain's to make a similar line for him. The was the origin of the Esoterica line. Germain's sent him examples of their catalog blends to test out. Then, some of these blends were altered slightly to Richmann's specifications and the Esoterica line was launched.

The closest equivalents would have been some of the Smokers Haven blends, though most of those are currently OOP. The closest equivalent to Stonehaven would be Germain's Rich Dark Flake.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
And the krumble kake of Smokers Haven was the closest thing to penzanse.
Correct. According to an email I got from Greg Pease, who was one of the tasters for Steve, Germain's sent two crumble cakes, one of which he thought was Krumble Kake. Richman decided to go with the other one, which is Penzance. Very similar, but with different amounts of Latakia

Jun 23, 2019
All of the Esoterica blends started out as part of Germain's catalog of blends that they had created over the years for various private labels, like the blends that were made for Smokers' Haven.

Steve Richmann of Piedmont Tobacco approached Germain's to make a similar line for him. The was the origin of the Esoterica line. Germain's sent him examples of their catalog blends to test out. Then, some of these blends were altered slightly to Richmann's specifications and the Esoterica line was launched.

The closest equivalents would have been some of the Smokers Haven blends, though most of those are currently OOP. The closest equivalent to Stonehaven would be Germain's Rich Dark Flake.

I was always under the impression that Germain's made all of Smokers' Haven blends for them. Their ready-to-smoke ribbon cuts were identical in texture to Germain's blends like Plum Cake and Esoterica's English blends too; and they share a similar level of quality and taste profile (if that makes sense).

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Off topic but somewhat related - I've always thought Penzance without the latakia would make a nice smoke. If I could have a custom blend by Germains that would be the starting point. I'd call it "Zennor" which is a town about 4 miles north of Pemzance. That or maybe "Llanfairpwllgwyngyll".

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I was always under the impression that Germain's made all of Smokers' Haven blends for them. Their ready-to-smoke ribbon cuts were identical in texture to Germain's blends like Plum Cake and Esoterica's English blends too; and they share a similar level of quality and taste profile (if that makes sense).
If I remember correctly, Krumble Kake and a number of other Smokers' Haven blends were originally made by Sobranie Lid. Germain's took over blending after Sobranie got out of the private label business.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I’ve been told Germain’s 1820 flake is very close to Penzance, but never tried either. I have been on and off watching UK shops for Germain’s blends but as our UK members can confirm, they are extremely rare there too.

The weirdest thing is there is an aromatic (blend called no7) from Germain which is piss easy to find in German shops, I mean even train station news&tobacco shops, made by Planta, so they ARE outsourcing, the weird bit is why not outsource the good stuff?

jackets

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2017
I’ve been told Germain’s 1820 flake is very close to Penzance, but never tried either. I have been on and off watching UK shops for Germain’s blends but as our UK members can confirm, they are extremely rare there too.

The weirdest thing is there is an aromatic (blend called no7) from Germain which is piss easy to find in German shops, I mean even train station news&tobacco shops, made by Planta, so they ARE outsourcing, the weird bit is why not outsource the good stuff?
It’s been a couple of years, but last time I was in Germany I found quite a few Germains blends. A couple of the shops I went to in Munich had SLF, Medium flake, and Brown flake.

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
Off topic but somewhat related - I've always thought Penzance without the latakia would make a nice smoke. If I could have a custom blend by Germains that would be the starting point. I'd call it "Zennor" which is a town about 4 miles north of Pemzance. That or maybe "Llanfairpwllgwyngyll".
With that description but with some latakia , i like the Germain's Special latakia Flake. Do not be fooled by the name latakia , the taste is based on the very good virginias rather than the latakia. Unfortunatly , it is also difficult to find today.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The only Germain's blend I have is some Brown Flake. The only Esoterica I have in quantity is Stonehaven and it is totally different than Brown Flake. I enjoy them both but for my tastes Stonehaven blows away Brown Flake.

Reactions: maker

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

Sancreed Shag?

jdb67

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2020
Albuquerque, NM
Finding Old Gowrie is about as impossible as finding Tilbury. Another other ideas for a replacement for either of those...Tilbury or Old Gowrie? About the only thing I see even close by description is Rattray's 40 Virginia, but it would be nice to hear from someone that has compared these by actually smoking them.

Reactions: kcghost