Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I personally ran into a number of bags a few years ago which either had developed pinholes or whose seal was incomplete. I haven't seen the dreaming issues since. Personally, I don't trust the bags. I seal two or three together in a large, very thick multi-layer,mylar-aluminum bags. These are simply heat sealed, not vacuum packed. This preserves my ability to resell in the future if my tastes change.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'll put it this way. There are stories about the people who make this being confounded by people aging their product. Which may or may not be true. But one thing that is those packages are designed with the intention of selling and being smoked not horded. Jar it when unsure is also a very good piece of advice which I am giving you totally free.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Those pinholes are the consequence of continued mechanical stress of the polymer at weak points like the juncture of creases which cause torsion on multiple axes, delamination of the layers and failure of the seal.

An undisturbed bag will not develop pinholes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Those pinholes are the consequence of continued mechanical stress of the polymer at weak points like the juncture of creases which cause torsion on multiple axes, delamination of the layers and failure of the seal.

An undisturbed bag will not develop pinholes.
So, considering the number of people who's experience is that some small portion of their unopened bags had pinholes, assuming bags to be undisturbed cannot be assured.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
So, considering the number of people who's experience is that some small portion of their unopened bags had pinholes, assuming bags to be undisturbed cannot be assured.
Correct. We both know how much people like to rearrange their cellars and photograph their bags.

Notice how bags in the wild, sitting on an undisturbed shelf collecting dust, out of arm's reach, don't develop pinholes.

;)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Correct. We both know how much people like to rearrange their cellars and photograph their bags.

Notice how bags in the wild, sitting on an undisturbed shelf collecting dust, out of arm's reach, don't develop pinholes.

;)
The first sentence makes perfect sense, not to mention the amount of handling that bags go through between the production line and your B&M or mailbox.
The second is an assumption that may be correct, but at present is unknowable, since those same bags have gone through a certain amount of jostling before and after landing on the shelf at that B&M.