PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

xedoz

Lurker
Feb 16, 2024
Hi all,

Kinda new here, so I'm not entirely sure how this works. I'm what you call a millennial; in fact, I might be closer to the age of Gen Z. Forums haven't really been a thing since the inception of social media, but hey! I've been finding the content really useful here, after picking up pipe smoking about 3 months back.

I've recently acquired a Peterson Killarney 106 PLIP (unsmoked) estate pipe from smokingpipes and the signature Peterson P on the stem seems a little bit wonky. Does anyone care to chime in on this?

IMG_3063.jpg
IMG_3066.jpg

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Nice pipe. The Killarney line is one of their lower grades, and has been known to have a few quality control issues here and there.

The P on the stem is stamped/melted in and can have rough raised edges, the silver paint can also wear and/or chip off. Not a big deal IMO.

I have a Killarney 80s bulldog that had every Peterson problem known, but it is a great smoker now. My recommendation is to smoke it.

As an elder millennial (42 years old) I think the forum format is far more conducive to quality discussion than most modern social media platforms.

Big John Shea

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2019
If it bothers you enough I'd bring it up with the retailer you got it from and see if they are open to compromise. Have been collecting vintage estates and vintage tobaccos for many years, and finding a perfect estate is often hard to do.

Honestly, it's a great looking pipe otherwise, and if you use it long enough, the little factory blemish on the P will be the least of your worries. Keeping pipes clean and in attractive condition during consistent use is a labor of love.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
The stamping is not pretty but it is normal. I don’t think SP will give you a discount on it but it doesn’t hurt to ask. At worst you can always return it.

xedoz

Lurker
Feb 16, 2024
Thanks everyone here for the clarification! I don't particularly mind it plus I got it because of the beautiful grain so I'm really happy with that. Just wanted to make sure that it's not a fault worth escalating.

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
Yeah that's normal on the lower grade pipes. I've got Aran finishes that are the same way. Lower end pipes in the Peterson range but they still smoke great. Just enjoy it.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
You already received the discount as you bought an unsmoked estate pipe ... a pipe someone else traded in or sold on consignment. Minor imperfections are to be expected occassionally ... it does not effect the purpose of the pipe.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
A few years back somebody was selling those for about $50 a piece new…

The stems were like a hot foil stamping, used on myriad consumer products. These were meant to be budget friendly Petes.

I have a half dozen myself.

Reactions: AroEnglish