PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Amarkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2022
Northeast MI
So I am just starting to get into collecting pipes. Im still very new to pipes in general but with that said I have found myself falling down a rabbit hole of awesomeness. The past week ive added a Dunhill from around 1961 and 2 Savinelli pipes that im not sure on the date. I have enjoyed reading the history of these companies over this past week.
I think my wife is gonna kill me if i buy anymore but it may be worth the risk haha. What are some other good pipes to look for in estate sales?

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
Welcome to the group bro! And welcome to the PAD gang! ? I think there are a few members here are infected, Pipes Acquire Disorder! ?

Reactions: Amarkey

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
So I am just starting to get into collecting pipes. Im still very new to pipes in general but with that said I have found myself falling down a rabbit hole of awesomeness. The past week ive added a Dunhill from around 1961 and 2 Savinelli pipes that im not sure on the date. I have enjoyed reading the history of these companies over this past week.
I think my wife is gonna kill me if i buy anymore but it may be worth the risk haha. What are some other good pipes to look for in estate sales?
As someone that just went through this i would HIGHLY recommend that you figure out what kind of pipe you actually enjoy smoking, shape mainly, find something to focus on before just buying everything in site because "oh that's a cool old pipe and it's classy" maybe you score it for $50 and it's a kick because it's a small comoy from the 50s ... then you realize you don't really enjoy smoking it and now you have $50 just sitting there, but you don't realize that right away, you realize that after buying 20 more of them. now you have a few hundred dollars sitting there or a thousand dollars, then magically you buy a pipe and you realize you love it and you find yourself smoking that one pipe as the other site, then you buy another one of those makers or shapes and now you have a couple pipes you really enjoy and a shit ton of them waiting to be boxed up and shipped to SPC to lick your wounds and hope you didn't throw away too much cash you could have spent on pipes you like or tobacco. Not saying this would happen to you ... but it does happen.

BTW not that this is um my story, but you might want to look into Meers early in the process, it can change your outlook on things, could be one of those "love smoking this one pipe" moments.

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
I went to reborn pipes and purchased
1 Peterson New republic era pipe in a shape I like (beautiful grain Wicklow) Love the pipe
2 Savinelli lollo thats been cleaned up better than new (in my opinion) still virgin pipe for me.
3. Bertram 60 grade from Washington DC area (Wanted an older piece of Americana - Loved the history) Love the pipe.

I kept my pipe rabbit hole kinda small. Helped me find the shapes I like. Now I'm dealing with the tobacco rabbit hole. Damn.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Many go after Charatans, Comoys, GBDs, and Sasienis.
These are great ones along with stanwell estates and obscure danish carvers.
The great thing about buying estate pipes is that if you spend $50-$100 on one and smoke it for a while and then find out you want something else you can usually sell them for the same or slightly less (sometimes more) than what you paid. The latest episode on pipesmagazine radio show, Brian talks about exactly that along with some easy things to look out for when buying estates. I think he also adds Barling into the mix.

Reactions: clynch and Amarkey

Amarkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2022
Northeast MI
As someone that just went through this i would HIGHLY recommend that you figure out what kind of pipe you actually enjoy smoking, shape mainly, find something to focus on before just buying everything in site because "oh that's a cool old pipe and it's classy" maybe you score it for $50 and it's a kick because it's a small comoy from the 50s ... then you realize you don't really enjoy smoking it and now you have $50 just sitting there, but you don't realize that right away, you realize that after buying 20 more of them. now you have a few hundred dollars sitting there or a thousand dollars, then magically you buy a pipe and you realize you love it and you find yourself smoking that one pipe as the other site, then you buy another one of those makers or shapes and now you have a couple pipes you really enjoy and a shit ton of them waiting to be boxed up and shipped to SPC to lick your wounds and hope you didn't throw away too much cash you could have spent on pipes you like or tobacco. Not saying this would happen to you ... but it does happen.

BTW not that this is um my story, but you might want to look into Meers early in the process, it can change your outlook on things, could be one of those "love smoking this one pipe" moments.
Thanks for the insight. You make some very valid points. So far all my pipes are billiard with the exception of my one savinelli nonpereil that one is a dubland.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Thanks for the insight. You make some very valid points. So far all my pipes are billiard with the exception of my one savinelli nonpereil that one is a dubland.
It's just one of those things, I think everyone has to learn on their own and either you stop and your happy or you have 500 pipes and are happy, im in between lol

Reactions: tklee

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've acquired a 'few' of these estate pipes since I started this life enhancing hobby.
At first I just went for a group of 5 old pipes of different shapes and sizes for less than $20.00.
I still smoke 2 or 3 of these regularly.
The next 'group' I 'won' was a batch of old cobs, which included a new cob, a new MM Maple, two buecher's, and one that wasn't even a cob, it just looked like one, it was a Kiko Meer with a vulcanite stem. $10.00 for the group. Crazy!
Actually, I could have stopped then and had enough pipe to smoke till now, but it's so much fun and I had time. I've only ever spent more than $50 for a pipe once. An old Dunhill Shellbriar from 1954 with a replacement stem for $67.00. I haven't bought a pipe for quite awhile now, as I've topped out at around 90 or more.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I found my best values by purchasing American artisan made pipes. They smoked great and there were plenty out there. You need to do a lot of research and you need to figure out what type of many to choose from. When I decided to cull my herd of them, I made almost all my money back even though I smoked them for years. I bought my pipes based on all the flake tobacco I smoked and most all of my pipes were group 4-5.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I always find a ‘gambling’ element kicks in when I go in for an EBay auction and reason seems to go out of the window.
I’ve done my due diligence; checked how much a given pipe is from new, checked the condition (as much as I can from descriptions and photos), set myself a cut off price that I won’t go over and then the competitive element kicks in and shafts me! ?

That being said, I have bought some lovely, well appreciated pipes over the years, that are great smokers when they are reconditioned; I would never have bought these from new.

The advice about looking for a shape and style that you like is very important though - otherwise it’s like pissing in the wind for fun.

Reactions: Amarkey

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don't know what your storage or budget is. My suggestion is to sit on it for a while and see which pipes or pipe makers continually grab your attention. Also personally I like having a small collection I feel like I wouldn't know my pipes as well if I had to many and only got to smoke each one on the rare occasion.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are lots of brand names and price levels to consider. I'd take your time window shopping, months at least. You can smoke a MM cob or whatever briar you have on hand in the meantime to develop "technique."

Only buy one pipe at a time, is my suggestion. Don't do binge buying. Pick out five or six candidates and winnow down to one. This will teach you what you value, and make you look closely and think carefully about each pipe. You'll learn a lot about the pipes, and about yourself.

Get used to reading the specifications on each pipe, so you know about sizes, shapes, materials, proportions of the chamber to the dimensions of the rest of the pipe.

Learn about filters. It's not rocket science, but there are a few familiar sizes and a few odd lot versions. Many pipes that take filters can be smoked with satisfaction without them. You can also use "adaptors," to smoke filter pipes without filters for a little more restricted draw, but smoking without the filters is usually fine, depending on the individual pipe and your preferences.

There are two distinct schools on price. Some say buy the "best," meaning most expensive, pipe you can afford. Others insist that many moderately priced pipes smoke as well as any. The reasons for buying high end pipes are partly for aesthetics and prestige. I'd say, don't try to buy great pleasure with more expensive pipes. If you have the discretionary income and come to believe in some high end pipes, go with it. But don't think you'll get twice as much satisfaction for twice as much money.

Reactions: tklee

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I don't know what your storage or budget is. My suggestion is to sit on it for a while and see which pipes or pipe makers continually grab your attention. Also personally I like having a small collection I feel like I wouldn't know my pipes as well if I had to many and only got to smoke each one on the rare occasion.
I also think it's worth waiting to see if pipes even take, I know some many people that come in blazing fire and then a month or 2 later the passion much like an untended ember is cold and dead, pipes just don't take.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I also think it's worth waiting to see if pipes even take, I know some many people that come in blazing fire and then a month or 2 later the passion much like an untended ember is cold and dead, pipes just don't take.
oh yeah and the difference can be something you're not even aware of. I.E. I just don't get the thrill from this one, but this one really is one I love smoking.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
oh yeah and the difference can be something you're not even aware of. I.E. I just don't get the thrill from this one, but this one really is one I love smoking.
That an in general, i've seen a few people i know get in and go down rabbit holes and 2 months later they are just done with pipes in general. I came in that way but lucky it stuck with me, although I bought a lot of estate pipes because i loved the idea of smoking them more than i loved smoking them.