PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The Sasieni- less than 100 or so made.

I’ve seen 2 come up for sale in the past 10 years. Last one was 2018 or so, and it sold for $1700.

Of course times change. Whether or not you would get that now is hard to say.
I guess it just depends on who's looking a any given day. The last of these I saw auctioned, some years back, didn't get much above $400.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I wouldn't describe any of my Dunhills as "boring and pedestrian".
I've had several. Most of them wouldn't pass a pipe cleaner and that irked me. One got turned into a bonsai container, one is a glove box pipe, and the rest were thrown away. Excluding their exorbitant pricing they're just factory pipes like Savinelli and Peterson.

sandblast.jpg

vcander

Lurker
Jan 21, 2013
Tree fiddy.
That’s the ugliest Dunhill I’ve ever seen. That might make it worth something. Good luck.

You are brave and unusual: a proud new Dunhill owner who begins his forum tenure by dissing all Dunhills but the one he owns? :ROFLMAO:
I don't think I was dissing all Dunhills. Sorry you took it that way. In over 40 years of being a pipe smoker, I just haven't seen many that made me go, "Ooh! I must have that!". This one kinda fell into my lap at a good price is all. And I do like the shape, the grain, and the overall look of the pipe. Sorry if you got offended.

vcander

Lurker
Jan 21, 2013
That's not how the Dunhill date stamps work. That would make too much sense. Could be 1980. Here's a dating guide. However, if you post a picture of the stampings one of the Dunhill nerds on the forum will be quickly able to tell you the year.

Huh... I'll post better pics of the other side of the Dunhill this weekend when I am back home. Now you have me really curious.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State

I don't think I was dissing all Dunhills. Sorry you took it that way. In over 40 years of being a pipe smoker, I just haven't seen many that made me go, "Ooh! I must have that!". This one kinda fell into my lap at a good price is all. And I do like the shape, the grain, and the overall look of the pipe. Sorry if you got offended.

I accept both of your apologies! Enjoy your pipe, and take the laughing emojies to heart.

vcander

Lurker
Jan 21, 2013
The Dunhill should be easy. It's one of the few British factory, maybe the only other than Parker, that has a date stamp. Should be on the side of the shank opposite the logo stamp.

Attachments

• IMG_20240404_205534194_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240404_205534194_HDR.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 13

rokerdepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
www.ericstendal.com
I have the booklet at home (I'm at work right now) but I'm going to posit that your pipe is from 1980 with that photo capturing an underlined 20. Do you see "HT" stamped anywhere on the pipe? This indicates "hand turned" as opposed to it being subjected to a fraize machine that's merely copied along with several other pipes (like a key cutting machine).

From Smokingpipes.com : "The Collector series pipes from Dunhill began around 1978 to showcase Root finish pipes that possessed exceptional grain or size."

You found a winner !

Last edited:
Reactions: captainsousie
Aug 1, 2012
I have the booklet at home (I'm at work right now) but I'm going to posit that your pipe is from 1980 with that photo capturing an underlined 20. Do you see "HT" stamped anywhere on the pipe? This indicates "hand turned" as opposed to it being subjected to a fraize machine that's merely copied along with several other pipes (like a key cutting machine).

From Smokingpipes.com : "The Collector series pipes from Dunhill began around 1978 to showcase Root finish pipes that possessed exceptional grain or size."

You found a winner !
Yep, 1980 is correct.

vcander

Lurker
Jan 21, 2013

You found a winner !
l

vcander

Lurker
Jan 21, 2013

You found a winner !
So, I was thinking I got a pretty good deal on them. I paid $600 for the pair.