PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Wheels

Lurker
Mar 19, 2024
Orange county, California
I bought these back in the 60's. I picked up the Chinese water pipe and the East Indian buc buc in Hong Kong. The ceramic pipe just says Holland on it. It has a water chamber below the bowl. The small pipe I bought in Yokosuka Japan and is supposedly made from whale bone. I don't know if it actually is.

image.png

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have often bought pipes OUT OF curiosity - an ivory pipe, a porcelain and several mortas, olive woods - you get the picture.
But never AS a curiosity.
All my pipes are bought with the intention of smoking them. I’m not interested in having pieces for display or to admire.

Reactions: AroEnglish
Aug 1, 2012
My most recent pipe is a Medico with the silver work on the bowl. Chances are I won't smoke it much if at all but the price was right and it looked interesting. Otherwise I generally buy pipes to smoke or sell. Others buy me the decorative ones and most of those go in a drawer.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
If I'm not going to use it, I'm not going to buy it.
Sometimes you don't know. I bought my first Kalmasch as a curiosity, thinking I wouldn't smoke it, and, honestly - I believe it's my best smoking pipe. I now have around eight of similar style.

But...I have several that I couldn't resist but will likely never smoke. One I tried, knowing it was ridiculous, and it turned out to be ... ridiculous.

Reactions: Wheels

Old Smokey

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2024
The Hollers of Kentucky in Appalachia
Sometimes you don't know. I bought my first Kalmasch as a curiosity, thinking I wouldn't smoke it, and, honestly - I believe it's my best smoking pipe. I now have around eight of similar style.

But...I have several that I couldn't resist but will likely never smoke. One I tried, knowing it was ridiculous, and it turned out to be ... ridiculous.
Oh I do. Again, if I'm not going to use it, it's a waste of money.

Wheels

Lurker
Mar 19, 2024
Maybe I should have mentioned that I have smoked each of these. They were all pretty bad, so it was only once. But, I didn't expect much. At the time I was collecting pipes. These were cheap, and I thought they looked neat. Most of my pipes were bought to smoke. Some people collect coins or stamps or pocket knifes. I collected pipes.

Reactions: Old Smokey

Old Smokey

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2024
The Hollers of Kentucky in Appalachia
Maybe I should have mentioned that I have smoked each of these. They were all pretty bad, so it was only once. But, I didn't expect much. At the time I was collecting pipes. These were cheap, and I thought they looked neat. Most of my pipes were bought to smoke. Some people collect coins or stamps or pocket knifes. I collected pipes.
I've never seen the point of collecting something you aren't going to use. Glad you got at least one use out of them. None are to my taste except that hunters pipe. I let my kids collect their things but I grew up dirt poor and was taught to be extremely frugal.

Wheels

Lurker
Mar 19, 2024
I've never seen the point of collecting something you aren't going to use. Glad you got at least one use out of them. None are to my taste except that hunters pipe. I let my kids collect their things but I grew up dirt poor and was taught to be extremely frugal.
I wasn't raised dirt poor, but money was always tight. So, I know where you're coming from. I don't generally buy something I won't use either. A few pipes were an exception and my collecting days are long gone.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Once I bought a “meerschaum” at an antique place. I think it was $5. I knew from the weight it was not quality but I was intrigued. I ended up cutting it in half without even smoking it. It seemed like some kind of hard plaster. Definitely not meer. Would’ve made a good tack hammer.

Reactions: Wheels

johnnyflake

Might Stick Around
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
I purchased this pipe about 30/35 years ago at a Chicago Pipe Show. I may have known when I bought it, but I do not remember where it's from or where it was made. I do not think it's clay, pretty sure it's wood of some kind.

If anyone has a thought's, I love to hear what you have to say.

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 11
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 11
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 10
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

herovtret

Lurker
Apr 17, 2024
Chinese Water Pipe: These are often referred to as bongs and have been used for centuries in China. The traditional Chinese water pipe is made from bamboo and is used for smoking various substances. The design allows for smoke to be cooled and filtered by passing through water.
East Indian Buc Buc: Unfortunately, I couldn’t find specific information on an item called “buc buc.” It’s possible that it might be a local or colloquial term for a type of pipe or smoking device from that region.
Ceramic Pipe from Holland: Pipes with a water chamber are typically designed to cool the smoke before inhalation. The water chamber acts as a filter and cooler for the smoke. Ceramic pipes are known for their durability and can come in various shapes and designs. ProCADIS software download options.
Whale Bone Pipe from Japan: The small pipe you mentioned could be made from whale bone, which was traditionally used in scrimshaw, an art form practiced by sailors, particularly whalers. Scrimshaw involves carving or engraving on bones or teeth of marine mammals, often whales. However, without a physical examination or testing by an expert, it’s difficult to confirm the material’s authenticity.