Example of "Invisible Repair" (Dunhill EC)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Kai Nielsen Pipes
96 Fresh Peterson Pipes
3 Fresh Becker Pipes
18 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
30 Fresh Nørding Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Something that gets brought up occasionally around here is that so-called "pipe repair" is a spectrum that runs from only restoring functionality without regard for appearance, to making a pipe look literally new again. Meaning, if the repaired pipe was sent back in time and dropped onto the appropriate output table the year it was originally made, the inspector Q/A guy wouldn't realize it was a time traveller, and would green light it.

Another test---applicable in the case of historical collectables---would be to have it declared authentic by an expert.

This 1967 Dunhill EC is an example of the latter. The original stem was badly oxidized and chewed, but the stummel was in good condition (under a layer of carbon and grime, of course) and it was an excellent full coverage sandblast specimen. (It's rare-ish to find a Shell with a good, deep blast that doesn't distort the pipe's lines.)

It was worth getting back into new condition, in other words, complete with "undetectable counterfeit-grade" stem.

The "EC" shape stands for "Extra Cool" or "Extra Classy", of course... :)

For anyone starting out in stem-making the photo with the ruler is for you. Don't go there. ❗❗❗ Really small stems are as extra-difficult as really large ones. This one is only 1.32" long, with a .22" tenon. It's like working with a stem-shaped postage stamp.

P1060948.jpg
P1060951.jpg
P1060932.jpg
P1060936.jpg
P1060935.jpg
P1060947.jpg
P1060930.jpg
P1060956.jpg

Last edited:

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
Man, that is feckin amazin. So basically, if I ever drop my one cherished Dunhill, and the stem breaks, you'll be the bloke to speak to. This is good to know, as you can imagine, this nightmare scenrio is one that keeps me up at night. I might just be able to sleep easy tonight lol.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The lighting in photo 4 really show off how exact the copy is.

Is it just the photo or is the dot on the original stem just a hair larger than on the new stem?

Good eye. It's nine ten-thousandths of an inch larger.

The difference between a machinist #50 (.0700") and a metric 1.5mm (.0709")

It was the closest I had. rotf

Doesn't matter in authenticity terms, though, because besides Dunhill dots varying considerably in size over time and by pipe group size, they varied a smidge according to (apparently) available dot material stock size.

FWIW, the material the dot is made from is historically correct for the period. Uncolored celluloid. (I found a package of pre-war chopsticks years ago so have a lifetime supply.)

For anyone wondering, Dunhill never used real ivory. The ivory color just morphed into that assumption over time because of (presumably) the luxury brand connection.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Good eye. It's nine ten-thousandths of an inch larger.

The difference between a machinist #50 (.0700") and a metric 1.5mm (.0709")

It was the closest I had. rotf

Doesn't matter in authenticity terms, though, because besides Dunhill dots varying considerably in size over time and by pipe group size, they varied a smidge according to (apparently) available dot material stock size.

FWIW, the material the dot is made from is historically correct for the period. Uncolored celluloid. (I found a package of pre-war chopsticks years ago so have a lifetime supply.)

For anyone wondering, Dunhill never used real ivory. The ivory color just morphed into that assumption over time because of (presumably) the luxury brand connection.
That’s a big compliment coming from you 🙂

Did Dunhill ever use ivory as stem accents? I have a pipe like this and have heard that the band might be real ivory.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Did Dunhill ever use ivory as stem accents? I have a pipe like this and have heard that the band might be real ivory.

In 1963 ivory was just another material, so it definitely could be.

An opera pipe's "luxury image factor" would also be in line with using real ivory on a special edition of some kind. From space shuttles to complete gold plating, Dunhill wasn't shy when it came to one-off specimens and limited runs.

The entire situation is a mess because the export and trading bans are mostly to protect elephants, but they aren't the only animals with tusks. From walruses to warthogs, there's still plenty of ivory if you aren't particular about the source. But being able to identify the differences in manufactured items outside of a lab isn't possible.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Thanks for all the props, guys.

What's legit funny, because it's truly how I approach things problem-wise, is that nothing could be simpler: Just take Material Chunk A in one hand and remove whatever is necessary from it to make it the same size as Material Chunk B in your other hand.

Except for the bending part (if applicable, which has some material-specific considerations), that's all there is to it.

The HARD part is training Hoover and Lily to use hand tools. Pushing buttons and throwing switches, no problem, but the bigger files and sometimes sandpaper takes a while.

Screen Shot 2024-01-08 at 2.19.45 PM.png

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
That’s a big compliment coming from you 🙂

Your opera stem accent is animal dentine of some sort, specifically what species I could not say. For resale sake let's call it mammoth though. I say that having had it in my hands and having polished and buffed that accent, you can tell by the smell.

• Love
Reactions: AroEnglish