Expensive Pipes - To Each His Own (Continued)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
Possible? Yes. Advisable? Not so much.
Haha - I know. It’s Friday night. It’s been a rough week. Perhaps ill-placed humor.

But - at the end of the day, an expensive pipe is relative anyway. When things are relative - it’s hard for people to agree because they don’t play on the same field.

My geek thing of the week - I finally got a pair of wireless ear buds for my phone. ? so, now I walk around trading ears so always one in and one out. That little box they come in is always charging for the next swap. And you know what - no one knows if it’s on or off… I smile at more people today than ever before. They see them. Consider them on… and I can’t hear. ? Or… I can turn them up and keep smiling. ?‍♂️

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My geek thing of the week - I finally got a pair of wireless ear buds for my phone. ? so, now I walk around trading ears so always one in and one out. That little box they come in is always charging for the next swap. And you know what - no one knows if it’s on or off… I smile at more people today than ever before. They see them. Consider them on… and I can’t hear. ? Or… I can turn them up and keep smiling. ?‍♂️
I bought a pair of Apple airpods a year ago and the one thing they excel at is falling off. I've tried the different sized rubber tips and none of them work. The sound is OK, not fabulous. Don't think I'll buy another pair.

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
I bought a pair of Apple airpods a year ago and the one thing they excel at is falling off. I've tried the different sized rubber tips and none of them work. The sound is OK, not fabulous. Don't think I'll buy another pair.
Beats Studio Buds. I know, I have an iPhone - but apple accepts good after market parts from better sound producing products. Just saying. You might get more expensive - but $280 is about the realistic work it price cap. You have some Sony and Bose that are simply remarkable…but dollar for dollar - you’re going to be hard pressed to “beat” the Beats. How they fit your ear - well…I don’t think apple thought much past corded pieces. Get the others - they stay in your ear - even when active. And if you have big ears… you can get big ear adapters. Apple might have “AirPods” but other companies sell “better pods”.

I learned from Adam that apples end in well… you know.

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
My son bought a pair and swear by, rather than at, them. Live and loin.
I will agree with him. And for the $$ at current sale price - and without comparing - do it. But, my judgement is genuinely clouded by Santa drive. I’m addicted to it. So, I’m going to have to hide it from myself? ?

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
I think it comes down to 4 things:

1. quality of the briar for example where it comes from or how long it is aged and if they throw out pieces that need to be filled etc or the use of a special process like Ashton does
2. quality of the craftsmanship - is it handmade - how is the drilling - how good does it look and smoke
3. aesthetics of the pipe the design speaks to you be it shape rustication and any of dozens of other things like a ring etc
4. the brand or the craftsman's reputation or a special occasion pipe - these are the ones that go for 1000s plus

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Armand.jpg
I think it comes down to 4 things:

1. quality of the briar for example where it comes from or how long it is aged and if they throw out pieces that need to be filled etc or the use of a special process like Ashton does
2. quality of the craftsmanship - is it handmade - how is the drilling - how good does it look and smoke
3. aesthetics of the pipe the design speaks to you be it shape rustication and any of dozens of other things like a ring etc
4. the brand or the craftsman's reputation or a special occasion pipe - these are the ones that go for 1000s plus
I agree. I love the grain on this Algerian briar.

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
But, you say you only wear one at a time. So, isn't the "unplugged" ear hearing them?
? They may be talking, but, whether I hear them or not no longer matters because I’m simply tuned in to something else. I just can’t listen to two things at once.

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
Since you are still going on this, I thought I would get this picture in before it derails …

Yin and Yang in the same frame. I have smoked both in the last 10 days.

View attachment 119958
Technically speaking - this wasn’t about the briar or expensive pipes. Perhaps that was lost…but, hey ?‍♂️ It’s yours to do as you will. ?

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
View attachment 120026I love the grain in this old factory second Stanwell. It set me back $40 and smokes fine.

Where’s the logic? Beautiful piece of briar. Drilled well. Functional and beautiful.

Stanwell didn’t think it great. Doesn’t wear the S and Crown.

What makes any pipe worth $1000 or more?
Marketing & the demand created around that marketing. The lack of supply is essential…ie No more Bo Nordhs being created. BTW, that’s a beautifully grained briar there. ?☕

Status
Not open for further replies.