PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mycroftholmes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2018
Does anyone know of any British pipe manufactures who had an "EXTRA" grade of pipe other than Dr Plumb, and Duncan?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know those pipe brands. I'm a skeptic on pipe grades assigned by the manufacturers. Give me the specifications of a pipe, and if I buy it and smoke it for six or eight years, I'll tell the manufacturer what its grade is. Let me be the judge of that. Otherwise it is a way of coaxing people to spend another twenty or fifty percent on a pipe, which isn't necessarily a sign of quality.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
After six or eight years, I've just declared my Parker cherrywood shape poker extra grade. It was always a fair smoker, but over time it has improved to extra.

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper and Ahi Ka

mycroftholmes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2018
GBD was "XTRA", Loewe had the "EXTRA Grain" grade but not "EXTRA". i am trying to work out who made a Bewlay pipe which is stamped "EXTRA"

Reactions: OzPiper

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
Amphoras were called X-tra. I started collecting them because I recognized the Amphora brand from my Dad's smoking years. Now I just like them, and they're relatively inexpensive. (WTB, btw, if anyone wants to offload some.)

My favorite is the model 740, of which I have one smooth and one sandblasted. Screenshot_20210810-074113_eBay.jpg

I just received this model 614 yesterday. I'm eager to clean it up and see how it smokes.
20210810_074540.jpg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I’m not able to help here but I reckon that “v” model stamp would possible help place where it came from - cadogan era Orlik pipes were stamped with a letter as well as their model number. Not sure if this practice was done on other brands earlier than the 80s

Reactions: mycroftholmes

mycroftholmes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2018
I’m not able to help here but I reckon that “v” model stamp would possible help place where it came from - cadogan era Orlik pipes were stamped with a letter as well as their model number. Not sure if this practice was done on other brands earlier than the 80s
I don't think the pipe is an Orlik as the mouthpiece is molded and not hand-cut. I've found a Sasieni sold on ebay and it was stamped with a V before a shape code so I think this could be a Sasieni made pipe

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I agree re Orlik - however they had both moulded and hand cut stems. Interestingly on the pipedia page, there are a few examples with the V stamp. All have the London made COM, and one is an emerald made by sasieni so your guess is probably spot on