PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

andrew l

Lurker
Dec 31, 2021
Given the popularity of the falcon I wonder why there are no wood bowls other than briar readily available. Olive, Osage Orange and Lemon wood likely would sell quickly.

Have been in contact with Don Warren--he no longer does falcon bowls.

andrew l

Lurker
Dec 31, 2021
There's some intriguing feedback in the pipe community reporting lemon wood and olive wood enhancing the flavor of certain tobaccos (Olive-Latakia and Lemon-Virginia).

Of course flavor experience is subjective.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
There's some intriguing feedback in the pipe community reporting lemon wood and olive wood enhancing the flavor of certain tobaccos (Olive-Latakia and Lemon-Virginia).

At a guess, I'd think that maybe olive wood and lemon wood would not maintain the integrity of the screw spiral on the base like briar.

Reactions: andrew l

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia

When I got back into pipe smoking a few years ago, I bought some morta and olive wood pipes because I was intrigued by the same question of their flavour vs briars.

There is a difference when the pipes are new, and especially if the bowls are not coated. Once the pipes are broken in, the flavours become very similar to briar.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I have 3 stems and ten bowls. Some combo or another get smoked every day. I don’t think you will see Falcon adding anything new as what they make now is heavily endorsed around the world. I’ve been a fan since 1972. The more fancy twisted and color stems came out decades ago, but most codgers love the plain ones. They are definitely utilitarian smokes, but function exceedingly well.

I have seen Olive wood bowls for Falcon pipes offered for sale by a pipemaker from Greece. He was a part of a facebook group I used to visit earlier.

Edit:
Found some quite easily on the internet
cAXgvvg4BGvwLeHR8

Last edited:

andrew l

Lurker
Dec 31, 2021
I was in contact with CHAMBERSBURG -- hasn't done any falcon bowls in a while. He offers a number of olive wood pipes on ETSY. Toward the upper end Tom Spanu has some non-briar pipes. As he is deceased [web info] I don't know if the Spanu line continues.

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
I enjoy the Falcon I have. I plan to grab a few more bowls for it…and probably grab a few more stems. I’m considering selling the ring filters. I make my own and they always seem to be out everywhere. ?

It’s a good smoking pipe and a great for clinching. I’m glad I decided to pick one up.

Reactions: edger