PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ceriano

Lurker
Feb 18, 2023
USA
Title edited for caps and brevity. Please also capitalize all names of tobacco blends and maker.

I’m looking to order a few English and Balkan tobacco to try. My all time favorite was frog Morton on the town but unfortunately I’m running low. It has a touch of basma which is my favorite oriental. Peterson old Dublin also uses Basma which is another favorite of mine. What are you favorites?
I have tried pretty much all dunhills, GL pease quiet nites, and several esoterica’s when I can find them.

Last edited by a moderator:

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
Pretty basic ones for me -- For Englishes, I enjoy Peterson's Standard Mixture as a good all-day smoke, and Peterson's My Mixture 965 and Rattray's Black Mallory for relaxing in evenings. Also really like Rattray's Red Rapparee (a Scottish) any time. For Balkan's, Arango/Peter Stokkebye Balkan Supreme (only available in bulk, not tins) is hard to beat.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Waiting for Lizzie and some others coming Wednesday. Sounds like an interesting blend.
I was impressed by both of these Lizzie blends, the English and the Virginia. There’s just a little something in them that sets them apart in a crowded field.

I’m with you on liking the little bit of oriental like Basma or Samsun but I’ve been adding condimental amounts of Katerini to a lot of Balkan or English blends to scratch that itch. Often I don’t like to mess with what the blender has created, but it’s my smoking experience and I’ve found it just adds a little something I like so I’m just gonna do it. Really wish I had a source for high quality straight Basma or Samsun but what I used to get is no longer available sadly. I’ve been fortunate enough to get bulk Katerini and it works well enough.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Personally, Balkan Supreme is the gold standard for Balkan blends.

Byzantium is another great Balkan blend that doesn't get discussed enough. It has Latakia and Orientals, but no Virginia leaf. With a little bit of Perique, Byzantium is rich and creamy with a touch of spice.

I tend not to smoke Latakia often, but these are my staples when I do.

Ceriano

Lurker
Feb 18, 2023
USA
I was impressed by both of these Lizzie blends, the English and the Virginia. There’s just a little something in them that sets them apart in a crowded field.

I’m with you on liking the little bit of oriental like Basma or Samsun but I’ve been adding condimental amounts of Katerini to a lot of Balkan or English blends to scratch that itch. Often I don’t like to mess with what the blender has created, but it’s my smoking experience and I’ve found it just adds a little something I like so I’m just gonna do it. Really wish I had a source for high quality straight Basma or Samsun but what I used to get is no longer available sadly. I’ve been fortunate enough to get bulk Katerini and it works well enough.
Where can I order Lizzie? I don’t see is on smoking pipes!

Reactions: John Brandt