PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Title edited for caps and brevity. Please also capitalize all names of tobacco blends and maker.

I’m looking to order a few English and Balkan tobacco to try. My all time favorite was frog Morton on the town but unfortunately I’m running low. It has a touch of basma which is my favorite oriental. Peterson old Dublin also uses Basma which is another favorite of mine. What are you favorites?
I have tried pretty much all dunhills, GL pease quiet nites, and several esoterica’s when I can find them.
I get my Frog fix from Sillems Black somehow.

Ceriano

Lurker
Feb 18, 2023
USA
I was impressed by both of these Lizzie blends, the English and the Virginia. There’s just a little something in them that sets them apart in a crowded field.

I’m with you on liking the little bit of oriental like Basma or Samsun but I’ve been adding condimental amounts of Katerini to a lot of Balkan or English blends to scratch that itch. Often I don’t like to mess with what the blender has created, but it’s my smoking experience and I’ve found it just adds a little something I like so I’m just gonna do it. Really wish I had a source for high quality straight Basma or Samsun but what I used to get is no longer available sadly. I’ve been fortunate enough to get bulk Katerini and it works well enough.
Have you tried loose leaf tobacco? Both Basma and samsun are available in bulk. Do they need to be cured or can I use them straight?

Reactions: John Brandt

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Dunhill London Blend
Dunhill 965
Dunhill Early Morning Pipe
GLP Westminster
GLP Blackpoint

I haven't tried any of the old Dunhill blends since Peterson took over, however.
The Peterson labels merely reflect a shift in brand labeling. The blends have been manufactured by Orlik/STG since the mid-2000s and STG continues to be the manufacturer. Nothing about these blends will have changed as a result of the new branding.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Have you tried loose leaf tobacco? Both Basma and samsun are available in bulk. Do they need to be cured or can I use them straight?

I have not tried the loose leaf orientals, but I had basically the same questions you posed and figured I needed more information before buying. Seems like there might be a fair amount of work to prepare but I just haven’t investigated it yet.

Reactions: Ceriano