PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lonepiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2017
Central Virginia
Now that the turkey and trimmings have been consumed, it begs the question, what is your favorite holiday in terms of the food? For me, growing up in a Polish household in Western Pennsylvania our New Years Day meals were the highlight of the year. Kielbasa, sauerkraut, pierogis, pagach, haluski, cucumber salad and pickled eggs still make my mouth water in anticipation of January 1. While other holidays boast of turkeys, hams and backyard bbqs, they’ve never really done it for me.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
New Year's day I was known for roasting an eight bone standing rib, graded Prime, with roasted potatoes, and other fixins. Now, the kids have their own traditions and I'm at home with a sandwich or something. I do miss that standing rib roast! Getting old is not for the weak!

My favorite holiday meal was often, whenever I smoked a couple of shoulders (Gawd bless the pig!) and served up endless pulled pork sandwiches, North Carolina style.

lonepiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2017
Central Virginia
New Year's day I was known for roasting an eight bone standing rib, graded Prime, with roasted potatoes, and other fixins. Now, the kids have their own traditions and I'm at home with a sandwich or something. I do miss that standing rib roast! Getting old is not for the weak!

My favorite holiday meal was often, whenever I smoked a couple of shoulders (Gawd bless the pig!) and served up endless pulled pork sandwiches, North Carolina style.
I’m not a beef eater but that pig sounds tasty! Carolina style is my favorite. Gawd bless the pig indeed! ?

Reactions: STP

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I am so wrapped up in the family being around me that I can enjoy anything, but I do like a well cooked turkey with stuffing or a ham finished with a large pumpkin pie. Very traditional I know but I like it.

Reactions: scloyd and STP

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Corned beef and cabbage with a Guinness on St. Patrick's Day is probably my favorite holiday meal. We eat corned beef only on St. Patrick's Day for some reason, even though it's available all year.

Reactions: WVOldFart

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The usual Thanksgiving, Christmas, and various July 4, Labor Day, and Memorial Day cookouts, but any time you can get invited to the home of a good cook for Chinese New Year, Passover Seder, New Years day Low Country boil, October Fest, St. Patrick's Day, a Hindu blessing of a new home, or other special occasion, it is a whole new day. Church and civic organization pot lucks, which are often timed around the holidays, are some fine dining. Laotian and Thai food any time. I like it when the prophet Elijah arrives during the Seder.

Reactions: sablebrush52

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Christmas -
I make meat pies or tourtiere on Christmas Eve and a breakfast casserole with eggs, cheese,sausage etc. for Christmas morning - just as my mom did when I was a kid.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Corned beef and cabbage with a Guinness on St. Patrick's Day is probably my favorite holiday meal. We eat corned beef only on St. Patrick's Day for some reason, even though it's available all year.
I sure love corned beef and cabbage with potatoes and carrots. When I was a kid we would never have corned beef any other time of year except St. Patrick's Day. When I got married, my wife and I was on the same mind set as to fixing it several times a year. We love it.

Reactions: scloyd

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
My Great Grandparents on my father's side came to America from Sweden so "for good luck" we always continued some Swedish traditions at New Years. We would have some Swedish dishes like Inlagd sill (Pickled herring) and since my other side of the family were from Germany we always had "little smokie" sausages in sauerkraut with mashed potatoes, again "for good luck." We can no longer find Inlagd sill at the grocery and my wife isn't a fan of sauerkraut and sausage so much for my luck. I am still blessed, but I sure enjoyed those New Year's Day dinners.

Reactions: lonepiper

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Christmas Eve here! I love Thanksgiving but beef or walleye trump turkey for me. Did the Itialian slowed cooked many meats and red sauce thing a couple years ago for Xmas day, still full, lol. Homemade doughnuts and muffins Xmas morning.