PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

dottlejockey

Starting to Get Obsessed
I tend to make large jars of home blends when there are several tobaccos of a certain ilk that I just don't tend to reach for often enough and mix in other bulk blending components to add whatever might be missing from the batch, once blended. The goal is to take several uninteresting (to me) products and turn them into something I will smoke more regularly.

Many of those are too complex to list, however, there are a couple things I have blended over the years and enjoyed quite a lot as a mix. One of my go to favorites is a 50-50 blend of Peterson's Irish Flake and SG Bracken Flake, rubbed out and evenly incorporated. One of my local pipe buddies pressed some of this together and aged it, which was also a nice twist on this variant.

Do any of you have any home recipes like this that you enjoy on a regular basis?

Reactions: woodsroad

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
American Virginia flue 42% izmir 15% and Samsun 15% Brightleaf Flue High sugar 20% with 8% genuine St James perique. This is an Oriental. Make the VA flue and sweet VA 25/10 and bring up the perique to 25 for my VA Per with a bit of spice. I also remove some of the Turkish and replace with Fronto for added robustness. I take one hand of each and divide. Case Virginia with 5% sugar water, bake 175 90 minutes and then steam the sweet a bit but don't Cavendish it. Blend each leaf interleaved by proportion and press at 50psi for 18 days. Stoe plugs until ready to use and then flake and rub.

• Love
Reactions: dottlejockey

dottlejockey

Starting to Get Obsessed
American Virginia flue 42% izmir 15% and Samsun 15% Brightleaf Flue High sugar 20% with 8% genuine St James perique. This is an Oriental. Make the VA flue and sweet VA 25/10 and bring up the perique to 25 for my VA Per with a bit of spice. I also remove some of the Turkish and replace with Fronto for added robustness. I take one hand of each and divide. Case Virginia with 5% sugar water, bake 175 90 minutes and then steam the sweet a bit but don't Cavendish it. Blend each leaf interleaved by proportion and press at 50psi for 18 days. Stoe plugs until ready to use and then flake and rub.
Very cool! I've never gone this far, YET. I've seen some videos of people working with whole leaf. Super intrigued...