Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bobomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2023
Colombia
roberthunt.com
Maybe this has been posted before, but I just now read this. Sen. Dick Durbin introduced new legislation in Sep 2023 to increase taxes on pipe and cigar tobacco. A 16x increase on pipe tobacco and doubling the tax on small cigars and a massive tax hike for premium cigars. Luckily, according to govtrack, it has only 3 sponsers and zero chance of passing.

The primary purpose of the bill is aimed at increasing care for expecting mothers and those who have recently given birth. What this has to do with pipe tobacco.... well, I'll leave that to draw your own conclusions. :mad:

Link is here

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Maybe this has been posted before, but I just now read this. Sen. Dick Durbin introduced new legislation in Sep 2023 to increase taxes on pipe and cigar tobacco. A 16x increase on pipe tobacco and doubling the tax on small cigars and a massive tax hike for premium cigars. Luckily, according to govtrack, it has only 3 sponsers and zero chance of passing.

The primary purpose of the bill is aimed at increasing care for expecting mothers and those who have recently given birth. What this has to do with pipe tobacco.... well, I'll leave that to draw your own conclusions. :mad:

Link is here

Currently the federal pipe tobacco tax is $2.83 a pound, which is about the same as the leaf wholesales for a pound. Let’s say 17.5 cents tax and 17.5 cents leaf cost an ounce. Add 15 cents for labor and processing and the base cost an ounce for our pipe tobacco is fifty cents an ounce.

In Missouri every smoke shop sells cheap, shag cut pipe tobacco for $12 a pound, some of its “enhanced” and puffed up so you get a pillow size bag for $12. Those same shops sell cigarette tubes for a dollar and a quarter a carton of 200.

$30 of tobacco and tubes will make a thousand tasty, good cigarettes, five cartons, all federal taxes paid.

The federal tax on five cartons of commercial cigarettes is fifty dollars, not counting the cost of the cigarettes.

The tax loss to the government is something, but not enough to build one of the four Arleigh Burke class destroyers we buold each year to add to the fleet. It’s chump change.

Where premium pipe tobacco is in danger is to equalize the taxes on cheap shag tobacco and commercial cigarettes the tax per pound should be anout twenty five dollars a pound, on a product the farmers do not get three dollars a pound for the crop.

The intent is to save the children from starting cigarettes, by raising prices.

I’m a geezer, old enough for social security.

I say let the children eat nicotine pouches and leave my pipe tobacco alone.:)

Reactions: yanoJL

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
What this has to do with pipe tobacco
Everything, obviously. It's the main selling point. But, it's an election year and those up for reelection are, mostly, not going to want to be raising taxes of any kind. So, in my mind, much ado about nothing. Now, after the elections> New taxes become more attractive.

No reason to get particularly upset. We smokers/tobacco users are simply on the wrong side of the issue. So, find ways to increase your income because, taxes, sales, property, tobacco related, etc. will rise. Prepare for such.

Finding anti-tax, pro-tobacco candidates and supporting them with your moneys and time is yet another way to respond.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Everything, obviously. It's the main selling point. But, it's an election year and those up for reelection are, mostly, not going to want to be raising taxes of any kind. So, in my mind, much ado about nothing. Now, after the elections> New taxes become more attractive.

No reason to get particularly upset. We smokers/tobacco users are simply on the wrong side of the issue. So, find ways to increase your income because, taxes, sales, property, tobacco related, etc. will rise. Prepare for such.

Finding anti-tax, pro-tobacco candidates and supporting them with your moneys and time is yet another way to respond.
And the next part is that they know this and can propose a tax increase and bait and switch it to a lower more reasonable seeming tax. Happens pretty frequently. Often is how it works if the number seems pretty excessive in general.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Always ask higher than your want. Negotiations are always expected. Both sides like to feel they something in return for a vote. Standard operating procedures at work. Politics at work.
My two favorite law things to hate are laws that are intentionally useless but make an appearance of taking a stance. The PA example is that you can only buy so many ounces of beer per visit to a store. You can make as many trips as you want, anyone who wants to drink that much will have no issue buying that much alcohol, but teatotalers get to see that law and think their opinion is being heard. The other is more sinister. It's when a lawmaker watches a steady trend and then passes laws to make it look like they have had an effect. Fund an industry that is on the verge of a specific break through, pass tough crime laws for crimes that have been falling steadily for years....

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina

Link is here
Just shows that folks should not vote for Durbin.

Reactions: yanoJL
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Prices are only going north. Taxes, Sourcing, Restrictions, Inflation, Opinion, etc... continue to make “our thing” a downward & dying trend.

Buy what you can afford & enjoy it while you’re able. 🙏☕

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I’ve lost count of how many times Durbin has (re)introduced this bill in some form or another. It keeps dying in one of the chambers. Not to say there is no concern. It could happen some day. Probably will. Meanwhile, stock up if you don’t want to pay premium prices in the future. Tobacco — fortunately — appears to have a good shelf life if stored correctly.

Reactions: MattRVA

BCF

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 23, 2022
Pennsylvania
My two favorite law things to hate are laws that are intentionally useless but make an appearance of taking a stance. The PA example is that you can only buy so many ounces of beer per visit to a store. You can make as many trips as you want, anyone who wants to drink that much will have no issue buying that much alcohol, but teatotalers get to see that law and think their opinion is being heard. The other is more sinister. It's when a lawmaker watches a steady trend and then passes laws to make it look like they have had an effect. Fund an industry that is on the verge of a specific break through, pass tough crime laws for crimes that have been falling steadily for years....
Aren't we Pennsylvanians still paying a tax on beer that was to go to the 1936 Johnstown flood relief? I think so. Taxes have a terrific way of lingering....

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Tobacco will never be as inexpensive or available as it is today, get what you want now before it's too late.
I have more than I will smoke in my lifetime but I still keep buying. It won't go to waste though, my son's are pipe smokers so I figure I'll add some nice stuff to their fledgling cellars when I leave this world. Add to that the 116 pipes I have so far and they'll be pretty well set.