PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Lucky to find this pipe today in a trade. I am not a Ferndown expert and was curious if you can date them or if anyone can tell me more about it before I start the clean up and smoke her.
In this case it's good that Les Wood himself is around, and active online, and willing to answer questions about his pipes. You can find him on Facebook, and his email is on Pipedia (I believe) or elsewhere online.

Nothing better in this game than first-hand information.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
20230602-140608.jpg

I will get a toothpick on the stem logo and micromesh it down the road. I really like the way this pipe feels. Captain Black Grape for the first smoke?

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
@greeneyes gets karma points for today:

"Hi that's a bark 3* Rhodesian over 8 years old as that silver was not available after that. It looks in good condition bowl looks clean inside, the briar is from Italy turned in the UK by me silver was made by me but I have to tell the truth dolly (that's my wife) and she is responsible for all the finishing as she worked at dunhills at the same time as me and was the top finisher I turned the bowls and made the M/P took them to pumicing
Dolly would take over from there and give them back to me for the silver work
Reg les"

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains

"Hi that's a bark 3* Rhodesian over 8 years old as that silver was not available after that. It looks in good condition bowl looks clean inside, the briar is from Italy turned in the UK by me silver was made by me but I have to tell the truth dolly (that's my wife) and she is responsible for all the finishing as she worked at dunhills at the same time as me and was the top finisher I turned the bowls and made the M/P took them to pumicing
Reg les"
That was very nice of him to reply so quickly!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Les Wood who is the Ferndown carver started as a metalsmith with Dunhill where he also learned carving. Then he went out on his own with his own artisan pipe brand. So I think the band is probably an example of his work. He has since retired, I believe, so his pipes are available as estates mostly.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Pretty cool pipe (every Brit fan needs at least one Ferndown!) Most are fairly large, that one even though its 3 stars seems just right. Also awesome to hear from the maker, I'm glad you reached out! Try a little white acrylic nail polish on the LJS initials - let it dry thoroughly, then lightly go over it with micromesh (maybe 8K) and the filled paint will stick, then, it's permanent.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Pretty cool pipe (every Brit fan needs at least one Ferndown!) Most are fairly large, that one even though its 3 stars seems just right. Also awesome to hear from the maker, I'm glad you reached out! Try a little white acrylic nail polish on the LJS initials - let it dry thoroughly, then lightly go over it with micromesh (maybe 8K) and the filled paint will stick, then, it's permanent.
Now that is some cool advice Al, the LJS logos on my pipes tend to wear easily. Will it not show ?
White as in transparant .

Reactions: peteguy and OzPiper

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida

Reg les"
Thanks for the history. Very awesome!

Reactions: peteguy