PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I like filters overall, but prefer balsa for both 6mm (including cobs) and 9mm. I have 9mm charcoal as well, but don't use them much. The paper filters that come in the filtered cobs are totally useless, in my opinion.

Bobby Bailey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 8, 2021
Upper Southwest Arkansas, USA
First I did try to search past forums but searching for 9mm or 6mm or filters resulted in either a gazillion returns not related to my question or a warning that search criteria was too vague.

ok so I am shopping for my first briar. I do want a filter system. I have 2 MM cobs with 6mm filters I like but they seem to get wet easy and the pipe cleaner just plows through them like they don’t exist. I have a cheap pear with a 9mm that seems ok also but to me the cobs smoke better whether true or not. Then there is balsa and distillator options.

What did you choose and are you happy with it, or would you change your initial choice?
Don't run the pipe cleaner through the filter. Remove filter and throw away, run pipe cleaner through, then replace filter with a new one.

Reactions: kschatey

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
I like the Grabow paper filters in my cobs or Grabow pipes. They soak more moisture/gunk IMO than the medico type and are priced right. I also can’t tell a difference with flavor.

My 9mm pipes get a charcoal filter which does A great job keeping the smoke cool and marginally does affect flavor to me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A filter is one more item to buy, clean, and change, and may prompt you to smoke more for flavor and/or nicotine rather than less. Most pipes designed for filters smoke well without them, or if you want to focus the airway a little, adaptors can work, depending on how open or restricted you want your airway. Charcoal 9 mm filters strike me as the most filtering, with paper and balsa being more moisture collectors as much as filters, useful but not so filtering. I try to keep my bowls to one or two a day, and some days I get busy and don't smoke any, so I feel comfortable not using filters usually. For pipes shows, pipe clubs, or smoking at pipe shops, a filter is good if you are going to smoke twice as much as usual, though they certainly mute the flavors of tobacco you may sample.

Reactions: JOHN72 and indoeuro

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Don't run the pipe cleaner through the filter. Remove filter and throw away, run pipe cleaner through, then replace filter with a new one.
I have found that depending on the tobacco, some balsa filters can just be trimmed from the dirty end and used 1-3 times total, especially if allowing the filter to dry outside of the pipe.

Reactions: Frasermac

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I like the Brigham system. It doesn't alter or reduce taste in my opinion. The filters are reusable and the pipes smoke great. I would recommend starting with a 1 dot which can be had for around $50.

Reactions: Old_Newby

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I like the Brigham system. It doesn't alter or reduce taste in my opinion. The filters are reusable and the pipes smoke great. I would recommend starting with a 1 dot which can be had for around $50.
I second that. And purists can smoke Brighams sans the filter without an adapter, since a filterless Brigham doesn't have a super wide open draught—it's more like a filterless cob's.

Reactions: Old_Newby and seanv

Frasermac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2020
First I did try to search past forums but searching for 9mm or 6mm or filters resulted in either a gazillion returns not related to my question or a warning that search criteria was too vague.

ok so I am shopping for my first briar. I do want a filter system. I have 2 MM cobs with 6mm filters I like but they seem to get wet easy and the pipe cleaner just plows through them like they don’t exist. I have a cheap pear with a 9mm that seems ok also but to me the cobs smoke better whether true or not. Then there is balsa and distillator options.

What did you choose and are you happy with it, or would you change your initial choice?
The 6mm “filter” in a cob is a roll of paper and utterly pointless!
Despite the usual “it affects the flavour” I’ve found balsa filters to be really effective. They have little impact on the draw, I haven’t noticed any effect on taste and absorb moisture so are useful on bent pipes. Filters are cheap, buy a wee range and experiment. If you find a type you like, great ? If not, you’ve only spent a little.