PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Well they are in. I have anticipated this for a while, so here goes nothing. I will certainly write a review if I survive the experience :D Any thoughts on what pipe I should use for the bouchon?

Yes, I got them from Belgium. I live in the EU now, so this was available over the internet, DHL taxed us about EUR 12 for shipping.
What exactly am i looking at?

Like cosmic said. The story of the tobacco overall is about a bit over a century old. Some school teacher in the Ardens started planting Burley tobacco at the end of the 19th century in the muddy soil by the Semois river. Everybody laughed at him, not thinking that the crop would yield any results. The region is very wet, foggy, rainy most year round, with an almost swampy/marshy like soil, so understandably the project wasn't given any credit from the get go. The result was quite unique in taste. The Semois tobacco, especially the cigars, are an European thing. In originality they are similar to your Italian toscanos. They reached their popularity peak during the inter war period, with another rise in sales after the second world war - 50s through 70s. They are somewhat of a curiosity nowadays, more of a regional thing if you like, similar to the Krume cigars in Germany. I never had them before myself, but I will definitely keep you posted once I give them a shot. They say it is a like it or hate it experience, a strong tobacco, very rich and earthy.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Yes, I got them from Belgium. I live in the EU now, so this was available over the internet, DHL taxed us about EUR 12 for shipping.

Like cosmic said. The story of the tobacco overall is about a bit over a century old. Some school teacher in the Ardens started planting Burley tobacco at the end of the 19th century in the muddy soil by the Semois river. Everybody laughed at him, not thinking that the crop would yield any results. The region is very wet, foggy, rainy most year round, with an almost swampy/marshy like soil, so understandably the project wasn't given any credit from the get go. The result was quite unique in taste. The Semois tobacco, especially the cigars, are an European thing. In originality they are similar to your Italian toscanos. They reached their popularity peak during the inter war period, with another rise in sales after the second world war - 50s through 70s. They are somewhat of a curiosity nowadays, more of a regional thing if you like, similar to the Krume cigars in Germany. I never had them before myself, but I will definitely keep you posted once I give them a shot. They say it is a like it or hate it experience, a strong tobacco, very rich and earthy.
Yes I'm familiar with Semois. Pretty tasty stuff if you ask me

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com

Everyday is a school day. Thanks.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I got a bunch of those in the backyard come get all you want
The first thing that comes to mind is that episode in that Borgias tv show with Jeremy Irons, when he gets cigars from the new world and asks "what are they, turds?". And two scenes later Lucretia pops in and asks what on earth is he doing, as the pope was puffing a stogie in his throne, and he answers "smoking turds". :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: puffy